Twitter introduces "hacked materials" warning tag, but you can trick Twitter into adding it to any tweet

Originally published at: Twitter introduces "hacked materials" warning tag, but you can trick Twitter into adding it to any tweet | Boing Boing

2 Likes

How can this trick be “played out” if I’m only just learning about it?
Oh yeah, I know, I’m old. (I forgot.)

2 Likes

2 Likes

I only just learned about it and I was still in bed, and it was already “played out”

Similarly I follow some folks who post pictures of their supper, but they’re mostly several time zones east of me so they’ve all had their suppers while I’m at work still. If I ever post mine they probably see it the next morning.

1 Like

Hmm

I was wondering what this meant when it showed up in my feed

1 Like

Which reminds me of bad old e-mail filters that killed references to things like Scunthorpe. History repeats itself with each generation of programmers having to repeat the dumb mistakes of the past.

4 Likes

Why is basic string matching a mistake here? There are no false negatives, and false positives are intended by the poster.

If the “bug” is “fixed” headlines will say you can trick Twitter by hiding suspicious URLs inside innocuous links

1 Like

It’s bad, in principle, because it diminishes trust in the warnings and turns them into a joke.

That it’s a slightly silly warning in the first place (OH NO NOT HACKED MATERIALS) is part of what makes it funny.

Another objection might be that Twitter is poisoning its warning system about bad ends (ie proliferation of fake news) with similar judgments concerning methods.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.