Twitter killing Vine video service makes the internet worse

That’s the best though. All twitter videos I see play the video at normal speed, but the audio at half speed so it sounds like Satan.

3 Likes

making the internet worse is sorta their thing.

Indeed.

Snapchat is the worst chat app ever created. besides their filters, and the auto destruct, the feature set of their app is ridiculously bad and clunky. Every time I try it I’m surprised that anyone can stand to use it.

On the other hand Instagram is pretty good even though chat isn’t its primary function.

the 140 character limit was a technical constraint that went away and they never adapted. you can say a lot in 140 characters in chinese, whereas in german you can’t even sneeze without taking up 140 characters. they also never accounted for how this limit differently impacts various languages.

All the vitriol and racism of youtube comments with the joy of splitting long messages into multiple parts. pure magic.

6 Likes

Twitter as a concept is fantastic, and if moderated could be one of the essential channels of the internet. It’s already a vital communication tool for many people. It’s just a shame that the company apparently couldn’t give a crap about preventing and monitoring abuse.

3 Likes

No, Twitter, after purchasing Vine video service (hereafter, “Vine”) and having the uncannily-Yahoo-like sense to do fuck-all with it, is killing off Vine.

THANKS TWITTER

If there had been a hyphen between “Twitter” and “killing” your interpretation would have made sense (in the absence of an article explaining that Subject-Twitter is verb-killing object-Vine.

3 Likes

Sounds more a problem of which cuts are being made, as opposed to making cuts at all. Something has to change with the service, and how that’s accomplished has been a test failed by Mr. Dorsey and his board up to this point.

3 Likes
2 Likes

#“Jack Dorsey is a fucking genius!” — anonymous micro-blogging CEO

1 Like

I hadn’t really thought of it in these precise cultural terms, and I never really used it, but I did think it was a really interesting medium, and I’ll miss it.

3 Likes

I disagree. I find it horrible. I attribute its widespread use to being first and having momentum before better solutions came along, but most of the choices they make i just shake my head at.

I do agree with this. The scale of use makes moderation a daunting task though.

4 Likes

They’re pretty good at moderating for copyright infringement though, just not abuse.

6 Likes

They could be fixing bugs, managing advertising contracts, administering servers, running backups.

That sort of thing.

Wow… that movie looks… unfortunate. Nice setting though.

2 Likes

Why is that? It facilitates instant communication on a wide scale, allowing people to disseminate news or ideas quickly like no other tool out there (except for Twitter imitators). It’s been vital in spreading news faster than any other news outlet during recent crisis situations. And it lets people connect and communicate directly with others in a really unique way. What’s horrible about any of that?

6 Likes

Do you actually not understand that my “File under badly written headlines” comment was an indicator that, yes, I knew what the writer was getting at, but that the headline was poorly constructed and easily misunderstood?

#Home Tweeting is killing the News Industry!

7 Likes

The implementation, not the idea. I think by being first and having the traction, they’ve blocked better ideas that could and would have addressed the same needs.

I’m pretty clueless since I stopped learning English in the second grade!

(source)

Why would Dorsey care if he’s got Square?

Yeah, that totally rhymed. Serious question though. Try to squeeze money from Twitter or go to bed on a giant pile of money from over $32B in Square transactions?

1 Like

How about a service that only accepts comments as limericks?

7 Likes

…such as?

I get that you don’t like Twitter, but your criticisms of it are very vague.

2 Likes