Twitter striking up talks with various buyers about selling itself: Reports

Perhaps I’m misreading this, but boy did this read to me as “It’s a real shame that people aren’t willing to work their backside off for my benefit without any expectation of reward. Serving me should be reward enough in itself!”

2 Likes

Personal reward, as in income, is one thing; capitalist profit is a different thing. Can I interest you in a set of used Das Kapital volumes? Riveting read, I can assure you :slight_smile:

True, but without the evil capitalist profit what will pay for the servers? Profit + shareowning → economic growth. The problem is when the profit gets invested in bubbles. I am a disgusting capitalist shareholder so my views are obviously biased, but I don’t want my money invested in social media and my “safe” money is in mutuals.

I’m sorry to disagree with someone with whose views I normally concur, but I don’t agree. It was perhaps at one time a very valuable channel but from occasional dips into it the S/N ratio seems asymptotic to zero with time, and it just encourages narcissists. I mean, I obviously have tendencies that way myself or I wouldn’t be posting here, but I’m not in the class of a lot of prolific twits.

I work my backside off with no expectation of financial reward ALL THE TIME. That is by no means what I was getting at. My point is that there are many things that are much better when not done for anyone’s financial reward. Like that pirate radio station that I built 20 years ago. Communication is so much more pleasant when it’s done for building community, rather than someone’s bank account.

Sadly, yes, that’s its biggest flaw. It’s a glut of noise and most definitely encourages the worst sort of driving trollies and bullying behavior – you might say it enables it. But it’s also become the best way for news to spread nearly instantly and for people to get word out on events in progress. On nearly every major news item, alert, emergency, or breaking item of the past year or two, I’ve seen it on Twitter sometimes hours before it hits the mainstream news. Maybe Google can find a way to keep that essential utility aspect while filtering the noise.

2 Likes

I fail to see the difference between me earning an income by demanding a certain price for my services and, me earning capitalistic profit over, um, demanding a certain price for my services.

Agreed that things would be much better done for me if people’s didn’t insist on any financial reward for their efforts. The restaurant that I like would be spending way more on the ingredients if they did so out of the pleasure of serving me instead of wanting to stay in business.

I’m not criticizing the fact that people might choose to do nice things for me just because they like making nice things. It’s the implication that I read into your post that people should be doing nice (and expensive) things for me just for the joy of serving me and it’s a shame that they’re not.

1 Like

Right, you fail to see a difference. That is not a rebuttal, merely a statement of your failure.This doesn’t just apply here, it’s just a point in rhetoric.

2 Likes

Apparently Disney are looking at buying Twitter, too.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.