Twitter thread about women imprisoned for c-sections and miscarriages

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/05/09/twitter-thread-about-women-imp.html

8 Likes

It’s crazy to me how some people see The Handmaid’s Tale as an instruction video. :disappointed_relieved:

25 Likes

That Twitter feed and some of the replies are disturbing as fuck.

28 Likes

This country and it’s law’s are disturbing as fuck.

28 Likes

26 Likes

These are the kind of people who jacked it to Handmaid’s Tail, or they would if they were the kind of people who read books.

Honestly, there’s not a lot of daylight between the Handmaid’s Tail and a Gor novel.

11 Likes

This makes me furious and want to punch someone that voted for this in the face as hard as I possibly can

8 Likes

What really makes me angry about these anti-abortion laws (of the many things that make me angry about them) is that I don’t believe for a second that these people think embryos are human beings. If they truly felt mass murder was going on in abortion clinics, they’d be working their asses off to prevent the need for abortions in the first place - ready access to contraception and education hugely reduce abortion rates. Yet they not only are not advocating for that, they’re actively advocating against it. Which means the “pro-life” factions aren’t remotely pro-life. On the contrary. They. Want. Women. To. Die.

16 Likes

Of course. They’re against tax-funded health care, education, increased minimum wage, social safety nets, access to birth control, solving maternal death rates, reducing wars, outlawing the death penalty, restricting access to firearms, et al. Nothing they advocate for is close to being for life.

15 Likes

They do want women who don’t have sex in the exact way they find acceptable to die. And even if a particular woman did not violate their only acceptable way to have sex has her life threatened by the resulting pregnancy, they still want her to die. Doesn’t matter if she already had other children by their proscribed acceptable method.

It’s never been about the hypothetical child. It’s always been about subjugating adult women into the role of chattel broodmare. No agency, no humanity; property of either father or husband.

16 Likes

tumblr_ocskh3mcLN1vs697no1_400

13 Likes

It’s odd to me how the pro lifers are often pro death penalty. How do you reconcile this?

6 Likes

they believe that only some people deserve to live.

17 Likes

I’d wager that in their minds, willingly not reproducing is depriving your virtual children from their lives. And that is murder, right?

2 Likes

They don’t believe women fully formed people.

6 Likes

I do believe that this is the only part that’s about the hypothetical child. Too often, a child is considered to be the property of the father, which is why some believe it should be given a higher priority than the mother. She is only seen as a “vessel” who carries and delivers it. IMO, these cases just look like attempts to punish women for damaging or destroying the property (or potential property) of a man. This is why we see situations where they bend over backwards to ensure the health of the child, even if it’s likely the mother will die as a result of their actions.

11 Likes

I think that may be too simplified. They want women to be property with no rights to control over their body, no ability to make choices on their own. In other words, they do not see women as human but as creatures who must be controlled and can be used at will. Union of incels and right wing nut jobs. Yeah, hell. That would be hell.

5 Likes

I think of it a little differently. Proposed abortion laws don’t always make exceptions even if neither the mother not the child will survive. I think it’s just that they want to broadly terrorize and control women. A few people have brought up Handmaid’s Tale. That story is a disturbingly plausible dystopia of women being oppressed and their reproduction being controlled. What is the result for powerful men? They get to live out dominance sex fantasy of raping a young woman in front of their wives.

I’m not going to speak for the many people who vote for anti-abortion candidates who are a huge group that undoubtedly has a lot of variance. But for the leaders, I think they simply want to control women. Every facet of control is one more way women have to do what they want. It’s power and domination.

5 Likes

Amendment I. Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof…

I’m sick and tired or iron age religions punishing people for not being dutiful followers of their made up god. And let’s be real. That is exactly what this is all about.

Except the holy texts of those religions don’t actually say anything about abortion. This is really on our generation, not on our Iron Age ancestors.

2 Likes