Two charged with chopping down famous tree in England

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/01/two-charged-with-chopping-down-famous-tree-in-england.html

6 Likes

Tom Hardy Bait GIF

18 Likes

Finally

ETA:

Called it

19 Likes

They should have erected a black scrim.

29 Likes

and furthermore, this (apparent motive), harmonizes with another recent BoingBoing post: Japanese town installs black scrim to block view of Mount Fuji

(hat-tip to @GutRot who beat me by [‘Get Smart’ fingers] this much)

(do these folks hate local business and tax revenue? …maybe they do [shrug])

4 Likes

The trust removed the tree and was hopeful that about a third of the seeds and cuttings it collected could later be planted.

Jeez, it’s a sycamore. If it’s only a third of them that could work I’ll be amazed. The property next to ours has sycamore trees on it, and I kill hundreds or maybe even thousands of the little bastards attempting to grow in our garden, every year.

14 Likes

I have a feeling these two (alleged) criminals (or whoever it really was, should they be found not guilty) didn’t expect the combination of genuine public grief for a beloved tree and the cruel performative populism of current English politics that will make sure that the maximum allowed punishment is being pursued.

10 Likes

I can see how it could become really old really fast, that said chopping down a tree that’s not yours no matter if its a tourist attraction or not is a horrible thing to do. Glad these guys got busted.

13 Likes

I have heard speculation online that the tree was not loved by local farmers who were sick of the tourists tramping over their land.

I’ve been there. There’s a path from the nearest car park directly to the Gap, part of the path that leads the entire length of the Wall. I can’t imagine there’s ever just been a hoard of tourists wandering aimlessly through the fields. Furthermore, it’s not like it’s rich agricultural land and people are trampling valuable crops - it’s sheep-farming upland. It does sound typical of a certain kind of farmer though. “Just give us our subsidies and let us pursue our dying industry in peace!”

13 Likes

they’re gonna figure out how to knock that mountain down so they can remove the scrim.

4 Likes

Graham and Carruthers? They’re Border Reiver names. Still causing trouble in that region I see.

10 Likes

Hold my beer!

3 Likes

Not a patch on Liz Truss’s lettuce.

5 Likes

Just pop it into the air fryer, it’ll be just fine.

2 Likes

i’m curious how they caught them, it’s my understanding absent dna the cops are remarkably bad at solving crime and i dont think this is a situation there would be any… leavings.

giphy-1434169935

I wouldn’t be surprised if there were community tip offs. This was a really shitty thing to do, after all.

4 Likes

maybe they bragged?

2 Likes

Punishment fits the crime?

Plant a tree for every hour the one that they cut down has lived.

Twice.

4 Likes

I’m kind of surprised at @beschizza’s blasé description of what is was one of the more famous and picturesque trees in the GB, a country [1] which maintains a List of Great Trees. The Sycamore Gap tree was the UK 2016 Tree of the Year for spaghetti’s sake!

[1] don’t start

4 Likes

That said, I can recognize (but not respect) locals’ frustration. I used to live in Grenoble, and there was a very recognizable landmark oak that sat alone at the top of a hill, which viewed from the city can be seen standing out nobly in front of the mountains behind.

It is on private land, in a field surrounded by No Trespassing signs, which were obviously roundly ignored (how do I know, you ask?).

I’m sure the landowner there is similarly frustrated but would cause some level of public outcry should the tree suddenly disappear.