Two excellent versions of the Gauntlet theme

Originally published at: Two excellent versions of the Gauntlet theme | Boing Boing

hahaha I love the smoke effect in the first video. Was definitely needed.

1 Like

Gracchus needs food. Badly.

3 Likes

Remember: Don’t shoot food!

3 Likes

I tried to get in touch with Ernie Fosselius, the voice actor, with an eye to recording fresh high-definition cuts of the Gauntlet dungeon master voice, but alas to no reply.

4 Likes

OMG - The Tussin is probably my second favorite song on that album after Fett’s Vette, but I guess I never played or payed attention enough to the original gauntlet to realized the beep boops were from Gauntlet.

1 Like

When I was a kid me and a few friends used to go to the local pool hall where they had the original 4 player Gauntlet.

It was a great game to play because you could keep feeding it quarters and anyone could join the game at any time. Plus, the pool hall served minors. I miss the '80s

I have it on my MAME machine but I’m only set up for two players. Now I have to shoot some ghosts.

And… Exhibit B? wtf?

2 Likes

@gracchus Your post reminded me that my coffee water was boiling away. Thankee.
Wizard needs caffeine, badly.

(Aaaand now I’ve got the original Gauntlet theme bouncing in my head. Something about the graphics & sound of Atari coin-ops from that era…)

1 Like

This cheerful tune of adventure doesn’t register as nostalgic for me because I grew up with the Commodore 64 port of Gauntlet. No, instead I think of a song that is epic and terrifying (to my 4 year old self):

The fact that you are slowly dying as you play doesn’t help.

I learned, early in my marriage, my wife’s ex-husband also made references to himself in the third person about being hungry, Gauntlet-style (also, Sinistar’s “I Hunger!”). I make these references at my peril, which is not to say never.

2 Likes

That’s the original game’s theme—the more fancily-arranged arcade cut I’ll embed below. Technically, the one in my post is the Gauntlet II theme, but (for presumably obvious reasons) it’s become the series’ motif.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for the info. That makes sense. I pulled up the NES port of Gauntlet to verify and just made a bad assumption off of that.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.