Two grown men arguing about how many days are in a week

This could work, but only for sufficiently high values of 4.

Also:
#define 4 6 // programmer’s job security

7 Likes

Well, Valentine was a saint, but how you dress in the privacy of your own bedroom is none of my business.

1 Like

Once they get this figured out, the leap year is going to throw it all into the shitter.

4 Likes

I seriously have no idea what they’re going on about. Just work out every other day, it doesn’t matter what day it is. Where’s the problem? Bodybuilders are so confusing,

3 Likes

The hell you say!

Fun Fact: on leap years, an extra day gets added between Feb 24 and Feb 25, and not, as you might expect, between Feb 28 and March 1. (QI delights in being pedantically correct, though quite often they’re just pedantically wrong.)

3 Likes

I saw that episode too. I was dubious about this fact. I suppose that when the day was originally added it was between 24 and 25, but now that basically everyone has forgotten this fact, it’s probably more appropriate to think of the new day as the 29th.

Here is a citation to support that bewildering assertion. I was compelled to look it up.

1 Like

They do often just plain get things wrong, although sometimes they go ahead and admit it. One of my favourites was when they claimed that you can’t lick your elbow and then in a later season had a woman in the audience who could lick her elbow - no real trick, she could just do it.

One day I’ll be on there demonstrating that you can control the muscles at the sides of your eyes voluntarily.

So… in leap years, February 26 is actually February 25 with the serial number filed off and an Earl Scheib paintjob hastily applied? Should birthdays that week be rescheduled?

2 Likes

When I read the highly-recommended-for-novices (and pretty funny if you like your humor dry and a bit cynical) Starting Strength I was surprised at how much RAW NUMBER POWER is involved in these strength training programs. Mostly logging and simple sums, admittedly, which don’t help in the 7 divided by 2 enigma.

Oh, and there’s some multiplying too, when ‘total volume’ is a thing (not in the case of SS). There’s even some physics talk in the book of moment arms and things like that. Maybe these guys should put it on their kindle wish list, right after some Kindergarten level math textbooks.

Edit: Image from the ‘70’s Big’ blog, which has a pretty cool attitude in my book.

1 Like

I once bet my girlfriend’s seven year old fifty quid he couldn’t lick his own elbow. Little fucker calmly twisted his arm round and did it.

10 Likes

Heard a similar story around here. Unless you’ve been repeating yourself, I’m guessing that’s pretty common, and presumably the bet only works reliably on fully-fledged, non-child PEOPLE people.

It might have been me, yes. I kind of remember relating that anecdote before here.

1 Like

We’re getting old.

2 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like

Bodybuilding forums… they hold a special place in my heart. Because of Broscience.

Ironically… Broscience isn’t actually a science, but is a discipline that derives itself from Scholasticism.

For followers of scholastic disciplines… one does not simply perform an experiment to determine the number of teeth in a horses mouth… like say by going to look outside at a horse and say… count. No… one must argue with others, based on the dogma of the church and Aristotle to find the answer.

Broscience works in a similar fashion, except to answer the question of how many teeth were in a horses mouth, they would have to first know how what supplements the horse had been taking, for how long, and how much it could squat. Then they would discuss the effectiveness of particular supplements, based on poorly remembered anecdotes… the relative nature of time (as evidenced by the above argument… how many days are in a week, seriously?.. and whether or not squats were even relevant to the question at hand, and whether benchpresses or deadlifts were the appropriate metric. They would then continue to argue… but the original participants in the argument would wander off, the thread would be resurrected by another Broscientist chiming in years later, who would then be refuted by yet another Broscientist, bearing no relation to the original question. The question of how many teeth were in a horses mouth is then eventually answered, as irrelevant… as the horse had been beaten to death, and buried, resurrected, and beaten some more. Through this process the answer is found to be zero. No teeth are left. Bro.

9 Likes

Two overgrown males.

Sounds like pretty standard internet forum argument dynamics to me.

1 Like

Kids are all contortionists. Just try to grab one and you’ll see.

2 Likes