Two lateral thinking puzzles

According to I talk I just heard from one of their artistic directors: “Please visit our rental site.”

2 Likes

The straightforward answer costs exactly 15c.

1 Like

solved. winner.

1 Like

"A man is lying" is an excellent preface to many of our present-day puzzles.

4 Likes
3 Likes

First day FedEx foot messenger seriously got lost and perished enroute. :soccer:

Further down the news item it is stated it was murder.

:male_detective:

2 Likes
  1. The guy should have learned a lesson from Tom Hanks
5 Likes

This is the first time I’ve heard this setup with lateral thinking puzzles. Maybe that’s more fun, but my take away when reading these books were just to make shit up.

1 Like

that’s a good one! i got it in 4 mins.

1 Like

1st one was obvious, the 2nd one i had thought, he had been there before and knew there was no balcony, or maybe she was wheel chair bound…

1 Like

“Escape from Einstellung” sounds like a WW2 Prisoner of War Film.

@girard my favourite riddle is, “What has four legs, a head, only one foot, and a brick in middle?”

2 Likes

The answer to these questions is always haggis.

ETA: I think that’s what killed the man in puzzle #1, and if I think about it long enough, I’m sure I’ll discover it had something to do with the death in puzzle #2.

EATA: the unopened package was obviously a haggis, dropped from an airplane. Dense, those things.

8 Likes

Well, “Death and the Package” is the title to an unsuccessful 1967 black and white film by Ingmar Bergman; functioning as a sequel to “Death and the Maiden”. It suffered from a number of structural issues, not limited to the fact that it was a follow-up to a Roman Polanski film that wouldn’t be released until 1994.

5 Likes

Cryptic crossword clues are constructed according to various rules which help the solver get an idea of how they are to be solved. They certainly are difficult, but there is one correct answer, the clue always contains it, and a pointer to how it can be solved. For instance, a clue contains a word meaning muddled or mixed up, this tells you to look for an anagram.

These lateral thinking ‘puzzles’ are not really puzzles because there isn’t a right answer which you can derive from the information available. They are invitations to speculation and creative thinking.

The bloke dead in the field might have been parachuting and dropped his chute before opening it, but more likely he might have been walking to the post office and had a heart attack.

1 Like

Perhaps you can explain the one about the chicken crossing the road next.

Is it like this?:

• Why did the chicken explain a joke?
  • Why?
  • Because it wanted you to know what the joke meant.

You see, I changed the “Why did the chicken cross the road” joke, so that it would be like someone explaining a joke, but I kept the joke in the same format as the “Why did the chicken cross the road” joke.

4 Likes

Explanation: Haggis was buy-one-get-one on the other side.

2 Likes

Buy-one-get-one?

So it was “to get two of the offal insides”?

4 Likes

So well played! Would that I had more than one like for this.

2 Likes

I don’t get it? How did the chicken explain the joke when chicken didn’t know what the joke meant? Oh wait. That’s why it’s funny. I get it!