Two teens charged in Kansas City Super Bowl mass shooting that started with an argument

Norway has one of the lowest murder rates in the history of the world and the maximum civilian penalty for any crime in that country is 21 years (with extremely rare provisions allowing extensions if a convict is still found to be a danger to society after that time).

The most effective way to reduce mass shootings isn’t to enact harsher punishments for the shooters. The most effective way is to enact policies that make it harder for people to commit mass shootings in the first place.

Vengeance is a pretty piss-poor substitute for prevention.

21 Likes

When you have a weapon, you are more likely to use it. Plain and simple. Hard to bludgeon someone with a morning star if all you have are your fists.

Fists can be deadly, sure, but guns are far more likely to be. And when you have them, and you don’t want to get punched? More likely to pull it. When someone else with a gun sees it? More likely to pull theirs.

I know I’m captain obvious here, but we live in a country where a minority of people who keep claiming guns actually make us safer in spite of all of the evidence to the contrary seem to be the ones who always get their way.

14 Likes

More geography of a sort.

Mark Alford represents a mostly rural district southeast of Kansas City.

Emanuel Cleaver, a Democrat, has represented Kansas City since 2005.

See: Missouri's congressional districts - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Agreeing with all your words, and adding…

You’re also more likely, no matter how level-headed when at home, to act like an armed person. Threat avoidance goes down.

In 1973 the journalist Ted Simon set out from the UK to travel around the world by motorcycle. He wrote about it in the book Jupiter’s Travels, which I enjoyed very much. Early in, he wrote about his decision whether or not to bring a gun. After mulling it over he realized that carrying a gun increased his chances of getting shot, because he would behave like someone who had a gun. If he behaved like someone who didn’t have a gun, he’d take precautions and avoid situations.

24 Likes

Not saying this to be overly pedantic, but rather to highlight that Kansas City has been represented by the awesome Emmanuel Cleaver since 2005. Prior to that, he was the mayor of KC and a Methodist minister. Kansas City is a fantastic place and one of the few bastions of reason in a sea of stupidity (I grew up drowning in that sea).

10 Likes

Except, like many aspects of the criminal justice system, it does not keep ANYONE safe.

That. And not treat the poor like garbage.

15 Likes

You know, I agree with your point that we try juveniles as adults WAY too much in this country. It is a symptom of how we feel like we have to keep the private prisons full. :confused: But I do believe sometimes it is acceptable.

I don’t know what, exactly, the proper punishment is for something like this. Ideally we would have a bunch of rehabilitation programs in place, not just the punishment of sitting in prison (but we don’t, for the most part, so…) But I don’t know if the punishments on the books for juveniles is appropriate for this case or not. What do you think an appropriate punishment is, even if tried as juveniles.

it has been shown that how stiff penalties are, up to and including the death penalty, don’t dissuade people from committing crimes. They aren’t thinking too far past the moment.

I dunno, we probably don’t want to fully derail into what an actual just Justice system would look like, only that what we currently have isn’t it.

2 Likes

How we treat adults in the criminal justice system is NOT acceptable, doubly so with children.

9 Likes

Consequences for parents might be coming to more states that don’t currently have/enforce them:

2 Likes

12 Likes

Most states have very carceral juvenile justice systems. Pretty much the only punishment off the table for a juvenile is the death penalty. Hawaii, with their civil Justice system for all juvenile offenders, is the outlier.
Almost every state routinely sentences children to life in prison. Our juvenile jails are also simply horrific. Often worse than the adult jails.

Teenagers and kids shouldn’t be tried as adults. Full stop. They are not adults. Their brains are not fully developed. No matter what they’ve done, and teenagers and kids are capable of horrific things, they are incapable of the same level of responsibility as most adults.

Our society has failed these particular teenagers by allowing the proliferation of guns. Without guns, they might have had a fight. One might have even died. But the bystanders wouldn’t have been harmed. And right now, without the guns, they would be tried on assault charges and maybe disturbing the peace.

The guns have to go. I don’t know how, but we have to get rid of all the guns.

18 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

8 Likes

I was really really good at drawing Kansas on an Etchasketch as a kid.

7 Likes

licensing and insurance coupled with buybacks would be a very good start, along with a public advocacy program to help convince people of the benefits of a gun free society. the sale and manufacture of certain kind of guns – along with ammunition – should be outright prohibited.

people thought it would be impossible to stop people from smoking in the office, then smoking in bars, of keeping kids away from cigarettes. and yet, we’ve had a profound shift

it will take time to see results, but we the sooner we start, the sooner we will see an end to all this pointless violence.

13 Likes

I Dont Believe You Will Ferrell GIF
/s

4 Likes

Indeed, guns only exist because they let you kill things quicker, easier, at a range, and with less risk to yourself.

3 Likes

It isn’t our job to amuse you

#changeMYmind

9 Likes

Still playing victim even though the police did release thier names as soon as they arrested the actual shooters.

5 Likes

the government

:roll_eyes:

5 Likes

He misspelled “teh gubmint”… :grin:

6 Likes