Suspect in custody, casualties reported in another school shooting

Originally published at: Suspect in custody, casualties reported in another school shooting - Boing Boing

21 Likes

I’m sure an avalanche of thoughts and prayers will be coming soon from the right. No solutions, naturally, because it’s too soon to talk about that.

25 Likes

27 Likes

Angry Fuck Me GIF

27 Likes

How commonplace have school shootings become in the US? This is the homepage of the “paper of record” 3 minutes ago. The last one is a one paragraph mention that there was a a school shooting and students may or may not have been killed

21 Likes

CNN —

There have been at least 35 school shootings in the United States so far this year, as of July 11. Nine were on college campuses, and 26 were on K-12 school grounds. The incidents left 17 people dead and at least 39 other victims injured, according to CNN’s analysis of events reported by the Gun Violence Archive, Education Week and Everytown for Gun Safety.

21 Likes

The GBI is about to have a presser:

And other local ATL coverage:

The local radio host just said that most who were injured ended up at the local hospital up there, but at least one was flown over to Grady downtown. :sob:

FYI, the local station I linked to also is playing the presser, so you can tune in there via the website, too.

17 Likes

Senseless. Needless. We don’t have to live like this.

22 Likes

no need to couch that. our gun culture isn’t worth it. worse, our gun culture is the problem.

the simple act of gun owners saying enough is enough, and saying that they’re willing to give up their guns to promote a happier, safer world - that’s all that it would take

and barring that - ignoring whatever the hell they want and getting rid of the guns anyway would do the same.

24 Likes

But if I give up my guns, how can I protect myself from nasties who have guns?

:weary:

15 Likes

24 Likes

It has become normalized. Our schools and universities have active shooter drills. Kids think about things like goodbye texts, so they practically have them already written. For me, that normalization hit me after we did nothing after Sandy Hook. If that event wasn’t enough to make us say “enough”, then I had, and still have, absolutely no idea what will be. We really lost this issue at that moment. I haven’t given up. I just don’t have a clue what it’s going to take to change things. For now, this nation, collectively, has decided that these lives are an acceptable price to pay for the nearly unfettered right to own and use firearms. I disagree, obviously, but I don’t see this changing any time soon. Most people want gun control, and yet here we are. This is another reason why we need to elect not just Harris and Walz, but other Democrats down ballot. It’s the only way this is going to change.

22 Likes

20 Likes

but as a parent in America, my child experienced several shelter-in-place orders due to shoots fired, bullets found, or bomb threats at school

Growing up, I was just past the “duck and cover” training age, but we did plenty of weather training. My kids got some active shooter training in high school, and now my granddaughter has had it since kindergarten.

My biggest concern as a kindergartener, despite growing up on the south side of Chicago, was making it to the bathroom on time, while she has to worry if she’ll make it home.

Even if you love guns, do you love them more than your kids?

22 Likes

The province of Ontario just banned cell phones in classrooms, so they won’t distract the students.

Meanwhile, in America, parents want their kids to have phones in class, so they won’t miss that last “I love you” text. :sob:

25 Likes

perhaps the problem is people love their guns more than they love other people’s kids :confused:

@gaghalfrunt re that post

I am stunned and disturbed by how student survivors - children - are giving unsensational, ordinary accounts of texting their “goodbye” messages to parents. How have we come to accept all this as so routine?

apparently the way police learned about the shooting was because teachers at the school have special id cards with an active shooter button on it

so it’s not just routine now, it’s a profit center.

20 Likes

Which means now there’s an industry, with lobbyists, working to ensure it can never be fixed.

Over and above the gun lobby, of course. I mean, one group is profiting from the cause, and another is profiting from the result.

21 Likes

Suprise.

The weapon used in the mass shooting at Apalachee High School was an AR-15-style rifle,

Also suprise.

Marge, a Georgian representative, only has prayers.

Let us join together in prayer for the victims of the school shooting at Apalachee High School and their families just as these students of AHS circled together in prayer today.

And Mr. Obvious, trump, had this too say but did not offer any solutions.

Our hearts are with the victims and loved ones of those affected by the tragic event in Winder, GA.

These cherished children were taken from us far too soon by a sick and deranged monster.

11 Likes

Fixed :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

13 Likes

Or fondle the ones in my collection while I pretend to be an action hero…

6 Likes