Suspect in custody, casualties reported in another school shooting

How is there no mention of how this hurts Harris? :thinking:
As an aside, NYT editorials have driven me away from reading anything else from the rag. To me they’ve become the Boar’s Head of news in that I refuse to consume anything of theirs in the hopes that I might get something that’s not infused with feces.

8 Likes

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/353503-bill-oreilly-las-vegas-shooting-the-price-of-freedom/

I see too many responses like this after every mass shooting. “It’s the price we have to pay for freedom…” No, it is not. It’s the price we pay for giving fascists and fearmongers control over our lives. But that already happened, and we can’t change the past. We can change the future, though. I have to believe that.

25 Likes

Apparently, the FBI investigated the shooter and his father previously…? It’s a bit vague other than it was about some online threats from a different county?

13 Likes
14 Likes

Sheriff’s deputies interviewed the boy and his father, who “stated he had hunting guns in the house, but the subject did not have unsupervised access to them”, the FBI said.

Georgia Bureau of Investigation director Chris Hosey said the gun used was an "AR-platform style weapon

Nobody needs an assault rifle to hunt.

14 Likes

23 Likes

This is America. The firearms manufacturers probably identified the market for school shooting alert systems before Columbine and patented the technology. It’s one group profiting on both ends.

10 Likes

Marge came up with a solution.

14 Likes

Hey Empty!
Season 5 Shut Up GIF by Friends

15 Likes

And BILLIONS AND BILLIONS being pumped into that lobby, sometimes by people who actually stand to gain a lot the more American children are killed.

If they wanted to kill so many US boys otherwise they’d have to fight a hot war!!!

But they get our lowest most idiotic POS fantasists and grifters to jack off to the slaughter in the news and sell us more guns so we can keep doing it to ourselves.

9 Likes
19 Likes

God Damn It Season 1 Episode 9 GIF by On Becoming A God in Central Florida

Let’s hope they go after the dad too… So sick of this shit.

14 Likes
19 Likes

“We should protect our children the way we protect our politicians…” Jesus Christ have you already forgotten that your God-King was nearly killed by a maniac with an AR-15 just weeks ago despite having the best personal security the nation could provide??

19 Likes

Tennessee again.

10 Likes

from Salon:

Republican Vice Presidential nominee JD Vance said that school shootings were simply a “fact of life” after a shooting at a Georgia high school left four dead — the 45th school shooting in the United States so far this year.

The comments, made at an Arizona rally on Thursday, come after Vice President Kamala Harris and her running mate Tim Walz called for enhanced gun control measures in their own campaign rallies following the shooting.

“If these psychos are going to go after our kids we’ve got to be prepared for it,” Vance said, bucking a question asked on gun control measures and instead championing efforts to spend more on school security, per the Associated Press. “We don’t have to like the reality that we live in, but it is the reality we live in. We’ve got to deal with it.”

Vance, who noted that the event was an “awful tragedy,” faced criticism in June for calling gun violence in schools a “fake problem” and called an attempt to ban bump stocks, used in the Las Vegas shooting that killed 60, a “huge distraction.”

“I don’t like that this is a fact of life,” Vance said at the Thursday rally. “But if you are a psycho and you want to make headlines, you realize that our schools are soft targets. And we have got to bolster security at our schools. We’ve got to bolster security so if a psycho wants to walk through the front door and kill a bunch of children they’re not able.”

At Apalachee High School, where a student killed four and injured nine more, a school resource officer was on site, and though they quickly stopped the shooter, they were unable to prevent those gun-inflicted deaths and injuries.

Vance’s comments drew strong condemnation from Fred Guttenberg, a gun control activist whose daughter was killed in a 2018 school shooting in Parkland, Florida.

“School shootings are a fact of life? My daughter Jaime’s murder was a fact of life? I can’t wait to make your exit from having any say in our public safety a fact of life. I can’t wait to vote for @KamalaHarris and @Tim_Walz,” Guttenberg wrote in a post to X.

Former President Donald Trump, who in January told supporters after an Iowa school shooting that “we have to get over it,” has not announced official policies on gun control, though his campaign manager Chris LaCivita told conference-goers at a concealed carry event during the Republican National Convention that Trump would

10 Likes

In case anyone was wondering how a black shooter was still alive to be questioned. The original photos were actually of one of the victims.

17 Likes

Shooter’s dad now arrested and facing manslaughter charges.

I’d like to believe holding parents accountable in these situations (as they should be) might act as a deterrent, but really I kind of doubt it. If the prospect of having your child carry out (and likely die in) a mass shooting isn’t enough disincentive to deny them access to deadly firearms then the prospect of serving time for it probably isn’t going to be either.

13 Likes

One source told CNN the AR-15-style rifle was purchased at a local gun store as a Christmas present. The timeline the teen’s father provided to authorities would put the gun purchase months after authorities first contacted Gray and his family to investigate school shooting threats made online.

13 Likes

A father who, last year, gave a 13? 14? year old child an AR-15. He may have been influenced by members of Congress who pose for Christmas cards with their children carrying guns.

12 Likes