Txt.fyi and "antisocial media"

Can we see the source code @beschizza? :smiley:

Neat: https://txt.fyi/+/6b97a594/

1 Like

https://txt.fyi/+/1baa27c0/

3 Likes

I doubt there’s much to it. Literally the first server-side project I did was something very similar - took user submited text (body code captures of urbandead.com pages using a bookmarklet) and spat out a web url (in this case to an actual file) that (if specified by the bookmarklet used) was not accessable via index page. I did the whole thing in 200 lines, including some parsing / adding headers, but I was young and niave in the ways of javascript injection… but you can grab a library for that pretty easy.

I’m happy to email it to you (some folks are using it on their own domains as the world’s dumbest CMS) – github soon.

I’m only holding off because I would like to get a security audit done, just in case.

It’s like 4k of PHP, it’s really nothing. Rolling a txt.fyi would be a good practical high school project – you could do the easy part by replacing the mail function of a contact form with file_put_contents

It does hook into standard markdown and anti-xss libraries, though.

2 Likes

Ah the world where stuff can actually just exist for the sake of existing… :slight_smile:
Times were simpler then. To be perfectly honest, while I’m not some profit driven person (I’m a painter and get ‘creating for the sake of creating’) it’s unfortunate that so many things transpire that way and that we (and by we, I mean I) all wait for the moment it’s gonna be monetized. Like that meme? It’s a taco bell ad! Think that quiz to see what brand toaster you’d be? It was a demographic analysis by the refrigerator company.

I do wish there was a way to randomize the viewing of the content. So you could just view through some lens that doesn’t have any link beak features. I’d say do it through an iframe but you ultimately have to work around people like me who will mess with the code to figure out how to get to the thing I want to see.

I think “antiviral media” would be a better description, if only because it makes me chuckle.

Wouldn’t that be “vaccination media”?

2 Likes

What I might do is fictionalize a txt.fyi book of the kind you describe, taking great care to reflect what is in it – the ratio of trash to pop quotes to random base64 botgarbage to meaningful postings – but nothing that is actually in there. Maybe…

1 Like

You did that deliberately.

Of course. It says so right in the post.

2 Likes

It’s obviously a place where the terrorists are leaving coded messages to each other.

1 Like

Still waiting for you to publish the source to GitHub.

(Then someone can post the source to txt.fyi thus creating a singularity of recursion.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.