Txt.fyi

offsite backup

4 Likes

How long before this becomes emacs?
:wink:

12 Likes

Well, there’s a handy javascript implementation of emacs lisp, should one wish to start down that path…

5 Likes

I like my already fractured sanity somewhat intact, thanks.
(To be fair, Lisp is fun.
And therein lies the risk.)

4 Likes

Though in my coding lifetime (11 Lifetimes), I did once get actual applause from the customer during acceptance testing for my emacs skills, juggling multiple logs in one emacs session. (Small screen, many outputs).

(These particular reps obviously had a brief to come in, be general arseholes and nitpick as much as humanly possible, so I took particular pride in breaking their facade.)

5 Likes

Obviously with any volume will come rate limiting and a bigger URL space :slight_smile:

I considered making it:a) incremental and b) blockchained.

Quite insane, and beyond my ability.

8 Likes

If you don’t mind the results being brutally ugly and nearly impossible to type into a touchscreen keyboard; GUIDs do the trick. Impractically large search space; and specifically designed for acceptably low risk of collisions even if you don’t have any way of checking the existing ones when generating new ones.

But did I mention ugly?

6 Likes

you forgot to mention that UUIDs make rather ugly URIs

2 Likes

More fun might be random phrases from a silly word generator

txt.fyi/supello-lebreams-resplaries

Or perhaps using a subset of characters that are literally pretty! Ternary yields 4 billion addresses from 21 characters, I think

txt.fyi/XIOIOXXOOIXOIOXIXIXO

Binary! 32 characters offers the same 4 billion addresses?

txt.fyi/txttxtxtxtxtttxtttxxtxttxtxtxx

8 Likes

Really like the way that the Ternary looks.

1st post: https://txt.fyi/+/366c7aeb/
2nd post: https://txt.fyi/+/57751260/

Formatting would be nice! Liked your “minimal usefulness” ideas in post #10, especially preview and short URL functions.

Thank you!

3 Likes

On the other hand, the smaller number space, combined with older messages ('txt’s? 'fyi’s?) being overwritten on address collision, would allow the following:

1. Transience - the messages passed out by sharing specific URIs would be time limited and would fade (at some random point), adding a short term immediacy or urgency, like the ripped shows on YouTube - get 'em now, before they fade.

2. Deniability - if the message or tweet or WhatsApp message pointing to @AcerPlatanoides subversive material were found or otherwise intercepted, then “No officer, my link was just a shared shopping list - you do know that the addresses get recycled?” becomes reasonable.
    Also:

3. Occasional mayhem and confusion. (Two weeks down the line): "Did they mean to send me their shopping list? I thought it was supposed to be RoboCopSlashArtooDetoo fanfic?!"

(Yes, I’m being whimsical. Some of this has, well, possible merit, though.)

6 Likes

3 Likes

@japhroaig - I think we found your location to dump gigs of text data

9 Likes

With the pseudo-markdown, ASCII art has some limitations: ====- -==== --^^^#####// \\#####^^^-- -^##########// ( ) \\##########^- -############// |\^^/| \\############- /############// (@::@) \\############\ /#############(( \\// ))#############\ -###############\\ (oo) //###############- -#################\\ / VV \ //#################- -###################\\/ \//###################- #/|##########/\######( /\ )######/\##########|\# |/ |#/\#/\#/\/ \#/\##\ | | /##/\#/ \/\#/\#/\#| \| |/ V V V \#\| | | |/#/ V ' V V \| ' / | | | | \ ' ' ' ' ( | | | | ) \ | | | | / (vvv(VVV)(VVV)vvv) Reminds me a bit of the early 90's era BBS graffiti walls. :laughing:

The web needs more simple, clean things like this.

3 Likes

hashify.me does that (minus the encryption – it’s just base64’ed).

1 Like

How big is each page?

Some sort of flag like !ascii would do the trick.

2 Likes

A blank posting will be something like 200 bytes and the maximum size is 8MB, due to the server’s POST limit. That’ll hold a couple of King James Bibles.

https://txt.fyi/+/0913296d/

9 Likes

I meant “how wide is it?” :smile:

*No I didn’t but now I do

4 Likes

Depends on how many repetitions of the !yuuge and !bigleague control codes you include.

3 Likes