Txt.fyi

That was already suggested here by @fuzzyfungus

3 Likes

Hey, mad props to @beschizza for the cite, but I’m chuffed they used my art for the illustration!

10 Likes

Scrapers are hitting it. I’m thinking of making the 404 a randomly generated poem so they aren’t disappointed.

10 Likes

Hrmmmm…

3 Likes

Using the text of http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks05/0500141h.html

5 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t suggesting that commenter over there was being original. :slight_smile:

Plus, the difference is that @fuzzyfungus was just being somewhat evil while pointing out a weakness, without all the ‘for the lulz’ crap that just made it obnoxious.
IMAO, of course. :wink:

2 Likes

If you can spot scraping, maybe have a list of randomly selected ‘plausible’ txts that you silently start serving instead of the real ones once the scraper threshold is tripped?

(Maybe throw in things like half the fortune database, the I-ching, the text of the Kama Sutra for good measure - plausible stuff, but wrong.)

The scraper won’t know they’re not getting the real thing, but any ‘archive’ or Google index-y redirect trickery would just be completely and utterly incorrect.

I’d be happy to contribute false-but-plausible messages to add to a random file for that purpose.

7 Likes

Oooh! Oooh! Randomly generated shopping lists! :slight_smile:
[Edit: Maybe not. ]

2 Likes

Did you say generated lists?

5 Likes

gasp So I only thought I was going too far, there.
:innocent:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.