U.S. appeals court strikes down Trump's ban on bump stocks

Originally published at: U.S. appeals court strikes down Trump's ban on bump stocks | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Please try to remember, in the midst of yet-one-more heated discussion on this topic, GUNS don’t kill people. It’s six-year olds with guns that kill people.

Thank you for attending my TED talk.

11 Likes

Far, far too often in America it is people with guns who kill six-year-olds. Keeping guns out of the hands of children barely scratches the surface of the problem of gun deaths in this country.

Enjoy your stay at Boing Boing and don’t let the stock bump you in the ass on the way out.

25 Likes

“I’m sorry. Thoughts and prayers to your family, they died as a result of a technicality.”

6 Likes

However brief… :slightly_smiling_face:

8 Likes

Hopefully very. I’m really not down with people joking about children shooting or being shot. It’s fucking gross and not remotely funny.

15 Likes

Sure, Trump gets ONE THING right, and the money comes back to remind everyone who really runs America.

19 Likes

Whoosh… And that’s a swing and a miss!

Oh, my bad. I see a highlighted box to the right suggesting that readers may not pick up on obvious sarcasm.

To be perfectly clear, it is NOT just six-year olds with guns that create the problem. It is six year olds with any weapon of war… /s

Better?

5 Likes

Welcome. As a newcomer, you may want to deploy the /s tag until we get to know you better.

ETA - Ah, I see you already got the memo. :wink:

10 Likes

If Biff (as he likely will) takes this as an affront to his spotty legacy, there’s only one person he can (but will never) blame.

13 Likes

Somethings aren’t particular funny. Not the fault of the audience, frankly.

18 Likes

Bump stocks allow the recoil to push the trigger back from the shooter’s finger. It’s the shooter’s muscles which push the trigger back into the finger.

Exception was the Akin’s accelerator which used a spring to do the job, and was uncontroversially ruled to be a machine gun.

Bump stocks don’t do anything that a guy can’t do with just his body. It’s just a bit easier and more reliable, and actually allows some sort of aim.

1 Like

… so, uh, what is it that’s being made “easier,” and why should we want that thing to be “easy” :confused:

27 Likes

I wonder if people had these same discussions around the earliest machine guns, or if they just applauded the ability to mow down colonial subjects with ease… :expressionless:

God this is depressing…

22 Likes

I’ll have you know that some of those natives were armed with pointy sticks. In the face of that what choice did we have to but to deploy machine guns?

2 Likes

Is the 5th US Circuit Court at all familiar with Congress? Because Congress doesn’t really do “action.”

4 Likes

One of the first firearms to be described as a “machine gun” was designed with the option to fire square bullets (which were believed to inflict more severe injuries) at non-christian enemies- described in the patent as being to “convince the Turks of the benefits of Christian civilization”.

So yeah. They very much took the second option.

16 Likes

“Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.”

― Hilaire Belloc, The Modern Traveler

13 Likes

Unfortunately, America’s gun laws and attitudes towards guns are such a clusterfuck that any satire of them can often come across as humor.

6 Likes

Las Vegas is the only mass shooting we have seen where autofire weapons were actually useful.

And the real reason His Flatulence was wrong is that fundamentally a bump stock is too simple to effectively ban. I’ve seen a You-Tube video of someone doing it with a rubber band and I’ve heard of it being done by putting foam between the stock and the shooter’s shoulder. However it’s done it’s fundamentally inaccurate and only of any real use when shooting at a massed target.