U.S. charges Julian Assange under Espionage Act

I don’t think you’re wrong.

At the risk of sounding glib, something could always … leak?

Sure, massive partisan disagreement and perceived reality bubbles…but it’s also Trump risking another news cycle all about “Trump as colluder”…

I think I’m down to a 20% chance that Assange will even be extradited to the US under prevailing conditions, so this is all probably moot.

3 Likes

I agree with the press freedom points, but there’s another angle here. Barr can’t (without it looking really bad) cancel the previous charges, but by adding these on, he reduces the chances of Assange being extradited.

The missing link in the collusion investigation is evidence that Trump himself knowingly colluded with a hostile foreign power. Assange, as the cutout between the Russians and the Trump campaign, could have that piece of the puzzle. So having Assange extradited is not in Trump’s best interest.

Ergo, this is an attempt to prevent Assange from being extradited. And getting the press to help prevent it is a bit of evil cleverness on Barr’s part.

3 Likes

Maybe? Not saying this isn’t plausible, but a constant of the Turmp crime family has often been self-undermining action.

Not necessarily whenever possible, but definitely at a level which seems like a talent.

1 Like

This is Barr’s doing, not Trump’s.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.