U.S. coronavirus death toll hits 50,000

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/24/u-s-coronavirus-death-toll-hi.html

10 Likes

Nice pic, Rob! Subtle.

15 Likes

I thought there were only ~15 cases just a few weeks ago. And it was going to go down to zero?

12 Likes

The Wall Street Journal reports on the significance of numbers, with the U.S. now accounting for a third of the world’s total.

U-S-A! U-S-A!

11 Likes

So Trump has officially killed more Americans in 2+ months than:

1. North Koreans and Chinese did for 3 years
  2. Al Queda, Taliban, mass murderers and combatants have for the last 20 years

Fast approaching the number killed by North Vietnamese and Viet Cong did in 14 years.

19 Likes

They have to. Everything they are going for hinges on the fact that reality isn’t reality, and they have to convince as many people as possible of that “truth™”.

“Be best!”

Technically the coronavirus is doing the killing. Trump and his administration’s shitty response, and the activity of his acolytes, is adding to it. How much, we may never know. My guess is “shit loads.”

I hope he tries the bleach injections. I’m curious to see what it does to his complexion.

15 Likes

Look, dude said 60,000 max, so it’s almost over.

19 Likes

29 Likes

It will miraculously go away any decade now.

11 Likes

I’d love to think this, but I believe it is here to stay for a while.

At least we’ll be more aware when the next crazy outbreak hits as the Arctic permafrost melts. Maybe the yokels will call it “The Siberian Flu”.

4 Likes

Is any other country handling this pandemic as embarrassingly badly as America? The numbers appear to answer that question.

10 Likes

Don’t be silly. That’s just, impossible! America is Number One, plain and simple. Has been at least ever since it kicked the rest of the world’s ass in WW II. Did you like, sleep through all of your school years or something?

10 Likes

The US accounts for a bit over 4% of world population.

The US accounts for over 25% of confirmed deaths due to the coronavirus.

USA! We’re number 1!

/s and :sob:

11 Likes

That’s not going to be as easy a task as it might first seem since we aren’t living in “normal” circumstances; presumably the social distancing measures we’ve put in place will also impact the number of people of everything from seasonal flu to automobile accidents.

5 Likes

Not too mention the number of people who have a fatal accident because they realize while driving that the fever they’ve been experiencing is COVID-19 instead of just a season flu.

3 Likes

One estimate is 80-90% of the deaths so far.

11 Likes

Trump may not have handled the crisis well, but there would have been an epidemic with a lot of dead Americans no matter what president. France, UK, Italy, Spain, Belgium they aren’t all lead by morons.

USA is still quite a bit from the top in casualties per million people, but keep working on it and you may reach the top!

3 Likes

It is absolutely hear to stay for a long time. Since the Spanish Flu (H1N1) is the popular comparison it’s worth noting that we haven’t come close to eradicating it. H1N1 vaccines are only 37% effective (https://www.aafp.org/news/health-of-the-public/20200226interimfluve.html).

Compared to measles (which has a much higher R0 than COVID [we think]), the measles vaccine has 97% effectiveness. And yet, there are still countries with measles.

Vaccines were not succesfully developed for SARS or MERS. Mainly due to the epidemics ending on their own, however.

2 Likes

After Vietnam it’s only a short hop to the combat deaths in WWI. Non-combat deaths were dominated by the 1918 flu, but between here and there we’ll have to cross the US Civil War, a biggie.

Breaking out of a million, WWII counts 2 million, roughly – and the stats aren’t really in yet on whether we break that record or not, but in reallity the only one that is close in terms of deaths /month is WWI.

7 Likes

After the first scramble, coroners are now making testing for COVID routine. They’re even going back into tissue sample archives and correcting the record in a lot of cases such as the one in California who died in early February.

5 Likes