U.S. formally endorses self-driving cars as technology that 'will save money, time, and lives'

It’s coming!

2 Likes

Where? Test-track conditions? Real-world scenarios under pristine driving conditions?

Bits and pieces of this are currently available yet, but a complete autonomous car package that can handle any situation that can reasonably be expected in the real world? Not ready for prime time yet.

Why not both? If there are no other cars on the road, the driverless car will have to be able to read the speed limit sign (doable, if it’s a simple sign, big numbers, no other qualifiers, and of course if the sign exists), or will have to be able to look up the speed limit info from a database. In case of complicated signage and rules (“No left turn between 7-9am and between 4-7pm”, “Do Not Enter - Local Traffic Only”, “School Zone - 20mph when flashing”), a database lookup would probably be easier than relying on OCR to parse the sign and a lexical parser to map the words to an existing ontology of traffic rules, plus additional whizbangery that can help assist when either of those things fails partially or totally.

Alright then, what does a stop sign look like? It’s not as simple as “it’s a big red octagon that says STOP, duuuuuhhh”. What about a solid white line extending from the curb to the center line? Flashing red? Flashing arrow? That thing I’ve only ever seen in Texas and is like a flashing red light but isn’t? So many variations, many of them dependent on local traffic rules.

I’d rather have an observant driverless car than a distracted, impaired, or incapacitated human driver, but I’d also rather be shot than stabbed.

Incorrectly like thinking a tomato is a vegetable, or incorrectly as in thinking a tomato is a racquetball?

I’m aware of all that. I fail to see why that’s better than an override button and a steering wheel. The guy behind me waiting for me to resize the screen and drop a pin precisely on a location 30 feet away would probably agree.

1 Like

Based on your reply, odds are I have only read a small portion of Weber’s writing on the topic (a few shorter articles) and don’t actually know enough about what I’m talking about to be useful to you. If that changes I’ll let you know.

Fair enough; I was referring to his strawman of UBI in the People’s Republic Of Haven in his Honorverse books, along with several other “capitalism good! monarchy good! democracy bad!” elements throughout his various series.

Seriously? Millions of people. The entire northeastern US is densely populated and filled with people who cross state lines daily for work, family, friends, etc. I’ve owned or leased 7 cars and I can’t think of a single one that I didn’t somewhat regularly drive in a different state.

Having different rules for each states could (potentially) be a nightmare.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.