U.S. London embassy disavows scientist's advice to put salt in tea

In addition to @euansmith’s horror at adding milk while the leaves are still steeping, I’d like to give the OP a small lesson in chemistry regarding adding lemon to a hot drink that already has milk in it.

11 Likes

Maybe they only use skim milk? With the rest of it, I wouldn’t be surprised.

2 Likes

I think there’s still a curdling effect with skim milk, right?

6 Likes

… and some wasabi?

hqdefault

2 Likes

Oh maybe! I thought curdling didn’t happen with skim milk, but I don’t know the chemistry behind it, nor have I actually tried it myself. Sign me up for your chemistry lesson, please!

1 Like

Stern talking to? They should be tried at the Hague for that.

2 Likes

You dashed heathen.
It’s Worcestershire or nothing!

9 Likes

I have that in common with @euansmith .

Our family is steeped in tales of tea.

3 Likes

Do you know what you should put into your beverages? Whatever the hell you want if you think it makes it taste good.

10 Likes

7 Likes

Alternate hot take: Ye olde Britain once again holding back progress with bad taste. :smiley:

The salt thing is true, applies to coffee as well

3 Likes

So, I’m wrong to be using Frank’s Red Hot Sauce?

4 Likes

Oh, bloody hell.
You know what you’ve done wrong.
Go sit in the corner and think it over, you monster.

:smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

“Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the pour.” - Man with Tea Cosy on Head.

DL_crowley

9 Likes

there’s a reason the wiccans added “an ye harm none”, i just didn’t realize the reason was tea.

2 Likes

Lot of parts of China traditionally drink milk tea with salt, and would rarely have it any other way. I wouldn’t say that this is the official stance on the source country for tea, since it is particularly northern regions that do this, not the more sophisticated southern heavy-tea-consuming and growing regions.

But still. For brits to be annoyed or playing annoyed about this shows some lack of awareness for their heritage drink.

5 Likes

2 Likes

Butter?

3 Likes

… and then adding ice, fake lemon and sugar. (dig over)

She may have a point when speaking of salt. Water varies in its mineral make up. My example is with coffee though. Peets tastes very different in San Francisco than when I make it at home in Vancouver. Maybe egg shells in brewing water could improve tea. Mineralizing water in ale brewing is called “Burtonizing” or “Burton Salts”.

6 Likes

I think only if it’s unsalted?

3 Likes