British Tea brands tell off Twitter racists

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/09/british-tea-brands-tell-off-tw.html

13 Likes

As my colleagues across the pond like to say, “Nothing like a nice hot cuppa Yorkie.”

It’s also great iced, IMO.

13 Likes

#solidaritea is great

26 Likes

Thanks for the tea tip! I’m gonna order some of that stuff in solidaritea.

9 Likes

Now all we need is for racists to buy these teas in bulk and dump them in the river as a protest.

12 Likes

My PG tips to blood ratio isn’t quite 1:1 yet (not done w first bucket), but if Rob thinks YG is that good, I’m going to have to try it. Like The Sage sayeth: why not both?

9 Likes

Good for them, but the wife and I prefer Tetley British Blend, makes an excellent cuppa for those in the US.

1 Like

My soul is obviously dead and withered inside and all but the faintest hope has been extinguished. That would be the only explanation for why I am continually astounded that companies like this are actually on the right side of things. I’m a Gen X’r so I assume everything is screwed and nobody cares. But maybe I’m wrong? Do I dare to dream? I hand it all to the youngsters these days who are Not deeply jaded like I am I guess. When Hillary lost to our now president after Obama was pummeled for eight years by the fractious right, and the realization that the Supreme Court was going to be completely buggered for the next generation with a new conservative appointees, I lost all hope remaining. So I am consternate it as to where this new optimism is coming from? I still feel inside that it’s only going to reelect Trump because it’s going to make the people that voted for him last time hunker into their bunkers. But again God bless the optimism and I hope the future is bright. I hope.

11 Likes

Good post except that I didn’t need to be Brit-splained about tea so much as I needed to have the meaning of ‘dead chuffed’ described. Had to look that up!

5 Likes

I had to think about it a minute too, as initially it sounded as if she was mad about it. All is clear now, of course.

5 Likes

Why let it go to waste? Let them “own” those activists by dumping boxes of tea at protests or around monuments. Maybe we can start a rumor to convince them that most activists prefer coffee… :coffee: :tea: :yum:

1 Like

You might be missing the historical reference.

3 Likes

I’m sure there’s someone selling loose tea leaves that you could order several pounds, mix your own blend of tea, and boil tea with a strainer. I’m surprised Rob doesn’t do this, but instead orders Yorkshire Gold.

I find Yorkshire Gold not as strong as I like, I usually order a fresh batch of 1894 Select Orange Pekoe from Murchies every so often. Fresh batch of leaves of this blend is stronger tasting.

Hmm, maybe I’m more British in terms of tea then I thought.

2 Likes

I highly doubt that.

1 Like

No, I got it - I’m just thinking about environmental impact. One statue isn’t gonna break down fast, but tea? I’d hate for the haters to even think about reenacting that party. Remember what they did to their sneakers?

2 Likes

My soul is dying, too. Let’s be undead together and rule the world!

3 Likes

Companies with an image of traditional Britishness were probably already worried about unwanted enthusiasm from the far right.

2 Likes

Hey, enough of that Wight Privilege!

14 Likes

Yorkshire Tea already had a throw down with a 'gentleman ’ who was disgusted to find out Yorkshire Tea wasn’t grown in Yorkshire.

17 Likes

Speaking as an very old Brit, PG tips and the ordinary Yorkshire tea are both pretty good (my preference being the Yorkshire) but if you can get hold of some Teapigs Everyday Brew your taste-buds will thank you. As for Yorkshire Gold, in my considered opinion (for what it’s worth), is tea for people who don’t like builders tea.

2 Likes