Barry's Gold Blend is my favorite tea, PG Tips leaves me mildly depressed

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/17/barrys-gold-blend-is-my-favo.html

2 Likes

PG Tips leaves you slightly depressed? But that’s why is it Britain’s favourite cuppa!

12 Likes

I too prefer Barry’s over PG Tips.

The answer, however, is Ty-phoo Gold

https://www.typhooteashop.com/everyday-tea/typhoo-tea-gold-blend-80-teabags

1 Like

Tetley Masala has been my go-to as of late. I like it better than chai, which usually has too much cloves.

2 Likes

I’ve settled in to Red Rose in my old age, and during the summer it works well for the pitchers of Arnold Palmer that I make, but I may have to give Barry’s a shot.

3 Likes

Is it that time of the year again?

Edit: I’m not much of a tea drinker myself but my favorite is Danedar black tea. It’s very strong and best enjoyed with sugar and milk.

3 Likes

“It’s just the tip…”

2 Likes

I haven’t tried Barry’s, but I prefer Tetley British Blend over PG Tips for an everyday tea. Occasionally I’ll have some fancy loose leaf, but rarely stick to anything in particular for that.

2 Likes

It must be hard, being so very, very refined.

2 Likes

I am a fiend for cheap, not well known brand teas.

Current favorite stockpiled in my office
SX355

Also love picking up cheap green tea (sencha) as well
SY450

I just find that the stuff is so much better and much much cheaper than American versions of them.

2 Likes

5fef5f9f9e05a6409754ba7b670e1b4a

22 Likes

It’s most likely that the PG Tips you have is a year or more old before you got it, and then sat around for months after you bought it. I’ve had the same issue with various teas and other items that you buy online or at specialty stores in the US.

That’s why I buy big boxes of tea in the UK when I’m over there for family visits (usually around Christmas and new year) and I know its fresh and I can store it properly once it gets home.

But there’s no accounting for taste - life would be very boring if everyone liked the same things

5 Likes

I’m lucky enough to have Chinese relatives (should I wave to the NSA?) so I don’t know exactly what teas I have but I do know that the probable oolong in the grey and red canister is really delicious as is the green tea in the white and gold bags. I haven’t had a standard cup of builders tea in so long, but eh… I’m not really going to complain. Not being sure of the brands keeps me from getting precious about using up more expensive teas anyway.

5 Likes

Q: Why do Marxists insist on Lipton’s?
A: Because proper tea is theft.

5 Likes

Came here to point out Yorkshire Gold. PG Tips is acceptable, but you really have to cut the steep off at 45-60 seconds or it’s too bitter.

1 Like

The “best” blend of tea is very much a matter of personal taste. Everyone will probably recommend something different. Whenever this subject comes up on-line, Yorkshire tea seems to have particularly ardent partisans (looks up)- Yep, Rob’s there already.

That said, I can think of a few reasons why you got the results you did.

First and foremost, PG tips is never going to be a great tea. It’s a big mass-market volume operation, and isn’t really the highest quality (Side note- it used to be the higher quality brand from Brooke Bond. Their main brand no longer exists, and PG tips has moved down into its mass-market position). Take a look at the bag your teabags came in- is the bottom of it covered in tea dust? I expect so- a number of the lesser quality brands are noticeably “dustier”.
Edit- Oh, and I just noticed, You’re comparing one company’s Gold Blend,vs another one’s standard product.

Second, each blend is different- some are very strong and produce a very dark brew, while others are by nature a bit lighter. Whatever fits the way you like it

Third, tea tends to be blended to fit the local area’s water hardness. It could be that your local water is closer to that of the Irish consumer:

Fourth- my personal recommendation is for Clipper Tea, especially their Earl Grey blend:

12 Likes

You can get PG Tips shipped directly from the UK, but I’d agree that there are better teas.

1 Like

I bought a box of this. It sits. I haven’t been inspired to say anything about it, really – the PG Tips just sucks enough I felt compelled.

3 Likes

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/91%2BtFOOSxHL.SX522.jpg

This may well be the most interesting comment I’ve read on BBS, with the maps and such. Thanks for that.

3 Likes