British Tea brands tell off Twitter racists

Yeah. I find myself surprised, too. (Part of my surprise is due to watching companies blindly run to do the absolute wrong thing in response to the “Gamergate” nonsense - rushing to cave in to the demands of fascist incels without knowing what was going on, and then when they should have known, never doing the right thing to avoid backlash from angry misogynists.) I mean, I recognize that many of these companies are only taking this position because it’s the popular one, but I still find that both surprising and heartening. There is widespread popular support for this, and despite the right-wing media hate machine desperately trying to alter the narrative and even insanely paint BLM as a racist, genocidal movement, corporations are still publicly taking the right position. That doesn’t happen very often.

7 Likes

What’s next, people attacking Celestial Seasonings on similar grounds? :stars:

8 Likes

At least BoingBoing have the freedom to call racists racists… the BBC is worried about being sued, so they’re called “anti-racism critics”.

What a world. They’ve since changed it to “anti BLM critics”, which I guess is better?

8 Likes

I would interpret “anti-racism critic” as someone who is against racism. “Anti BLM critics” is much better.

3 Likes

Does anyone know where Typhoo stands on BLM? I’m currently drinking a box of it, to see if I like it better than PG Tips. That 1100-bag of PG Tips looks tempting.

Still pretty shit compared to how most are reporting it though.

That last one is the Daily Mail… lol

1 Like

I thought you were going to mention this

which as a Canadian (ex-American) who doesn’t drink tea, seems kind of reasonable. The POMEs are freaked out, though.

4 Likes

That’s because the whole thing, from start to finish, is an Abomination Unto The Lord.

And calling it “British tea” is tantamount to an act of war.

15 Likes

Coming from the country that likes its beer warm and everything else deep fried.

2 Likes

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

9 Likes

Homeopathic levels of tea in a gallon of sugar water?

I can’t type NO largely enough.

14 Likes

12 Likes

seriously, this has to be some engineered clickbait via trolling, because literally everything she does is wrong.

11 Likes

For Americans and other poor benighted souls, this is how you actually make British tea.

1. Get some tea bags. It doesn’t matter what sort. Yorkshire Tea is fine; supermarket own-label is also fine. This is fact.

2. Put a tea bag in a mug. If the mug has deep ingrained tea stains, so much the better.

3. Boil a kettle. I understand from the Twitter thread above that many Americans don’t have, or possibly have never heard of, a kettle: so, for clarity, it’s a plastic or metal jug with an integrated heating coil.

4. Pour boiling water into the mug and on to the tea bag. Stir.

5. Wander off and do something else while you wait for it brew.

6. 10 to 15 minutes later, say “Shit! I was making a cup of tea!”, and hurry back to the kitchen.

7. Remove the tea bag and enjoy your perfectly brewed cuppa.

(You can add milk and sugar if you want. Personally, I think that’s disgusting, but at least it’s disgusting tea.)

28 Likes

tenor-33

14 Likes

I prefer the 3 to 4 minute brew with a dash of milk, no sugar, but then forgetting it for the next 20 to 30 minutes.

Unless there’s biscuits. Not cookies. Biscuits.

17 Likes

If the spoon doesn’t stand up, it’s no strong enough. If, in adding milk, it actually goes white instead of a slightly paler shade of brown, it’s not strong enough.

Tea is serious business (fun fact: during COVID, i don’t think my office’s coffee maker has been used even once. But the kettle still gets emptied multiple times a day. It’sa 4L kettle and we only have 4 peoplein at any given time).

9 Likes

There are fewer better examples of the disconnect between US and UK English than the fact that “biscuits and gravy” translates, if it translates at all, as “dumplings in white sauce”.

16 Likes

When I was in school, I survived marathon study sessions with what I called ‘ink’: tea steeped for at least 20 minutes, then heavily laden with milk and sugar. I might have been awake at 2 a.m., but by deity, I was awake!!

10 Likes

Tea. The strong stuff. Leave the bag in
Edit: This is for you @Tamsin_Bailey

6 Likes