U.S. London embassy disavows scientist's advice to put salt in tea

Ooh, I’ve not tried it with honey. That sounds interesting.

1 Like

Try it. You’ll never look back.

(Not that your neck is now stuck solid with honey and marmite. Definitely not that).

while i would probably eat the *@$! out of marmite, the even easier alternative is nutritional yeast. ( do not confuse with brewer’s yeast. ick. ) not being an eater of meat, i think my body craves the b12s.

put it on toast? yes! popcorn? yes! pasta? yes! fake eggs? absolutely!

okay. i may have a problem. :cat2:

1 Like

I sometimes use marmite for an umame boost where I might use soy or fish sauce. A teaspoon in, say, a tomato based sauce can be quite delightful.
Also good to juice a disappointing broth.

2 Likes

You might enjoy this (if you are permitted to listen)

Any chance of that being on any podcast platform outside the UK? I stumbled upon it a while ago, but can’t find a source I could throw into PodcastAddict.

While I searched for this a couple of days ago, I found this, but since it is video, I haven’t yet watched.

Green Gold: The Empire of Tea (The origins of the industrial revolution)

ETA: prompted by your reminder, I watched/listened to the talk. Takeaway: phenolic compounds (tannins) in tea have antibacterial properties even when the tea is cold. The author’s hypothesis is that this is the key factor for higher survival rates/better public health in 16th century Britain, allowing the industrial revolution to get going.

1 Like

I am listening to it now thank you!

2 Likes

I can listen to it on BBC Sounds from outside the UK if that helps.

1 Like

I don’t know, the only sports I watch are cricket (as mentioned, test matches can last up to 5 days) and sail racing (the longest offshore ones, such as the Vendée Globe and The Ocean Race (formerly Volvo Ocean Race) last c. half a year because they go round the whole world).

There’s just something about a sport where you don’t need to pay attention every second and it rather becomes a part of your day for a period of time.

2 Likes

Never thought of it like that. Valid point.
Sport should only be tiring for those playing it, not those watching it.
I have a new appreciation for slow.
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

Lab test & poll.

5 Likes

A while ago I decided to remove unnecessary sugar from my drinks, and lactose doesn’t agree with me, so I drink really nice coffee now, and bitter isn’t something I experience much. Some interesting acidity, loads of other flavors, but bitter no.

2 Likes

Yeah, the high-end coffees brewed well probably aren’t bitter at all. I tend towards mid-high range and cold brewed, which can extract some bitter notes

I’ve been researching kettles and wow there’s a lot to sort thru!

3 Likes

I’m in another country, so I can’t recommend my roastery, but I use an aeropress, coffee that costs about £12 x 250g, and use boiled tap water.

2 Likes

I did a bit of temp testing with my OXO yesterday, setting it to 158 F (instant thermometer read it at 153) and 176 F (instant read at 172). Pretty close. I didn’t do multiple trials, though. And I don’t know for sure that my thermapen is completely accurate. It’s all stainless steel on the inside, except for what appears to be a silicon seal around the temperature probe.

2 Likes

If it’s a genuine thermapen, it comes with a calibration certificate and should be accurate to within .4°C. They also tell you how to do an ice bath test to test the accuracy yourself, should you be in doubt.

1 Like

It’s a thermapen one, less than a year old, so I guess it’s probably good. I haven’t done an ice bath test, though.

2 Likes

Serious Eats weighs in… We Tested and the Brits Are Wrong: You Should Be Adding Salt to Your Tea

1 Like

I was reminded yesterday that my Great Aunt, who spent a high proportion of her life in the humid sub-Tropics, used to keep a sachet of salt with her tea leaves, not for flavour but to keep the tea dry. She continued to do so when she returned to UK, and started using teabags.

It was a lottery if you got a teabag in the pot or a sachet of salt.

I applaud you for hauling out a Discordian reference.

All Hail Eris!
-><-

1 Like