U.S. Navy sailors banned from drinking in Japan

Risk:Diplomacy::Heck:Hell

3 Likes

Potato-chan, youā€™re basic understandings were correct for pre-war Japan: strict isolationism was rampant up until 1873 or so, then it flipped the other way: import all knowledge, but-- as you say-- quick to change actions but long to keep the isolationist attitude. Present Japan is only isolationist in terms of immigration now, but otherwise tries very hard to put on a veneer of internationalism (they have been pining for a permanent seat on the UN security council for 50 years).

Japan depends on trade much more than any other nation: there are no native oil reserves, and the last of the coal was dug up in the 1960s (that island where Javier Bardem battled James Bond was the last mine). Japanese wealth almost wholly relies on manufactured goods and open sea lanes. This is why the Chinese actions in the South China Sea freaks them out so much: it directly threatens almost all their inbound trade, and almost half of their outbound trade, not to mention the direct threat of loss of sovereignty over some islands just off the coast of Taiwan.

In the end, I predict the Japanese government will continue to slowly skirt around Article 9, work closely with the US Navy, the Australian Navy, the Philippines and the Indians, and even make nice with the South Koreans (especially after the DPRK collapses within 7-10 years). The US Naval bases in Okinawa will stay, but perhaps under much more strict rules, but the bulk of the US Marines will be back-ported to Guam.

5 Likes

Iā€™m used to living in a gigantic country in terms of landmass, so I didnā€™t really consider how untenable a completely isolationist sentiment would be for them today (or really, any first world country, mine included). I was applying what I had heard about 1800s Japan to the country now. It would seem from your response that there is a strong desire for peace in the country now, but thereā€™s considerable debate between the ā€œisolationistsā€ and ā€œwarmongersā€ about the best way to achieve it in the long-term, like pre-WWII America. I meant ā€œisolationistsā€ in the antiquated sense, which still makes it a dumb point.

Also, you do point out a good political reason why we may want to lessen our power in the country. I read a lot of American fiction about Japan back in the 80ā€™s. I imagined there likely could be a strong political movement that is actively anti-american or anti-west, perhaps out of resentment for seven decades ago or our occupation since then. If theyā€™re more concerned about China, it may make political sense to give them leeway to take action.

Thanks for your polite response. One of these days Iā€™d like to hear why the DRPK will collapse within the decade.

Also, I totally recognized that filming location from Artificial Owl!

2 Likes

The problem is that many of those calls originate from within the U.S.

4 Likes

So, basically, Japan is playing real-world Civ on Deity level as Venice.

9 Likes

Hence the insistence on retaining the Emperor as a titular head of state.

5 Likes

They could call it a ā€œSelf Defense Forceā€ (oh, wait, they did).

1 Like

Do Okinawans consider themselves to actually be Japanese? Do Japanese in Japan think Okinawans are Japanese? Iā€™ve often wondered given history.

2 Likes

By neither numbers nor technology is the JSDF a world leader. As per local talk, no Japanese have seen any combat action since some very small unofficialls were in Vietnam so everyone is untested.

According to people I know over in Ichigaya there is a palpable sense of dissatisfaction with local R&D and with the fact that the JSDF have gives the US valid reasons not to share the best miltech. That and the demographic crunch plus major societal change has really affected enrollment.

Except the PRC & South Koreaā€¦

That seems to be more the view of the western left & the PRC than anyone Iā€™ve known from Okinawa

Politics there are tricky, but the PRC is not going to be happy no matter what we do, and SK doesnā€™t have many other options, given their northern border issuesā€¦

2 Likes

What party on the right here would qualify as ā€œwar mongersā€ in your opinion?

There is a great non fiction book called Embracing Defeat, check it out.

Iā€™m in the process of reading all the excerpts I can find online. So far itā€™s very well written.

1 Like

Wow!
I wonder what you consider a world leader should be?
The JSDF has close to 250000 personnel (without counting the reserve), and they do have very modern tech at their disposal. Your arguing them not having ā€œthe best US mil techā€ suggests that no army in the world could be advanced enough without such. Especially when you consider that the ā€œbest US miltechā€ lately includes things such as the f35.

No worries, thatā€™s what the cute little kids that befriend overgrown fire spouting turtles are for. Get enough of them, and you can fight off any monster.

3 Likes

They canā€™t even drink in their places of residence.

1 Like

Amazingly (sarcasm) when youā€™re active duty you donā€™t have all your rights. All you have are privileges and duties (not sarcasm).

5 Likes

And not just available land, arable land. Okinawa was Japanā€™s bread basket before the war. Now, our bases take up most of that arable land and Okinawa has suffered a great economic downturn as a result.