U.S. Navy plans immigrant internment camps to detain tens of thousands in CA, AL, AZ

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/22/internment-camps.html

3 Likes

Blow through $223 million in six months. Then start paying upkeep. Monitoring would be so much cheaper. I guess you can’t make people as scary if you just let them out in public as opposed to being quarantined/detained/jailed in a military facility.

Man, fear is expensive.

23 Likes

Of course putting children in foster care is far cheaper than gulags and less rife with abuse.

As is treating asylum claims seriously and documenting people involved with the process so you don’t have to spend all that money for detaining them as parents or families.

Being a nazi-like dickhole is getting really costly!

13 Likes

I’m sure some people will argue with this but US military should never ever be allowed to operate within US borders short of an actual foreign military invading into US territory that they have to fight

with the military door open, trump has found his never ending piggy-bank, warehousing, lawyers, etc. - he’ll get them to build “the wall” too, just watch

if the dems do not close this loophole when they get into power someday, then they are equally to blame for the disaster we are escalating for decades now

still upsets me how all is forgiven somehow over dems suddenly voting hard-right against fundamental principles during/after 9/11, everything went out the window once they felt they had an excuse they could get away with - they are to blame for fueling the idiots who said clinton was the same or as bad as trump, because in that moment they were

24 Likes

Remember when that guy shot up a pizza place because he thought the government was hurting children there?

27 Likes

The Navy planning doc obtained by TIME says two sites in California could house up to 47,000 immigrants each, two sites in Alabama could host 25,000.

Room for 144,000. For reference, some 110-120,000 Japanese Americans were interned in austere camps during WWII. That’s the scale of what’s going on here. Just shameful.

23 Likes

I’d prefer if the US military wasn’t so keen on operating outside US borders either…

13 Likes

Hey, remember when conservatives used to be all in a panic about how the government was planning to open giant detention camps to imprison people in? Good times, good times.

31 Likes

No, you see this is okay, admirable in fact. Actually necessary and vital even, because it’s protecting our white women from brown men.

That’s really what it boils down to.

“they’re not sending good people. They’re sending murderers. They’re sending rapists. And some I assume are good people.”

But they’re definitely all rapists.

That’s what the average trump voter cares about

15 Likes

Going to repost this thread here:

The only question is whether they’ll even try to cover up the deaths to start with.

17 Likes

Attention Californians:

Camp Pendleton in SoCal, and Concord Naval Weapons Station in NorCal.

Get your protest gear ready.

17 Likes

Remember that Joe Arpaio’s tent city in the Phoenix area was ruled unconstitutionally inhumane for convicted adults. Yuma is much worse than Phoenix (the territorial prison there was closed in part for that reason), and yet we’re proposing to lock up children there?

18 Likes

bit worried about how protesting at/on a military base will end

and wonder if it is going to be the first time sound-weapons will be used on civilians in the US (or if it will be at the RNC/DNC conventions)

but I am curious if reports about spontaneous flash-mob peaceful protests forming at airports when someone posts about groups of immigrant children being swept through over late nights or if it was a one-time event? because if that’s repeatedly happening it’s really inspiring and the best of us

remember the “muslim ban” trump attempted when he first got into power? it’s starting to dawn on me that either by accident or on purpose because someone far smarter is whispering into his ear, he is creating crisis after crisis on purpose to try to get laws made/changed - it’s horrendously damaging to the country of course to do it this way but it does have the spiteful effect he desires

oh another thought - what exactly do they think is going to happen when you start putting tens of thousands of people held against their will in one location with an absurd ratio of prisoners to few guards?

The undertone of everything this regime and its supporters do is normalising the abnormal to give themselves room for worse policies and actions.

We’re supposed to get accustomed to tens of thousands of civilians being rounded up and put into camps during peacetime.

We’re supposed to get accustomed to no-kidding Nazis marching in public on a regular basis with police protection and a president* who calls some of them “fine people.”

We’re supposed to get accustomed to the U.S. bailing on partnerships with long-standing friends, insulting them on the way out the door to go meet with authoritarians.

I could go on (and on), but you all get the idea.

17 Likes

I’m not ever “getting used to” this inhumane shit, and I’m holding accountable anyone I personally know who is.

Agreed.

As an intersectional citizen, I personally can’t risk going ‘front line,’ but I can and will do everything I can to help organize the resistance effort.

18 Likes

Why is the branch of the military designated to fighting enemies of the State in the ocean making plans to detain people who are accused of entering the country illegally??

8 Likes

Wasn’t Sarah Palin railing 'bout Death Camps a while back?

10 Likes

I’m sure they have planned for that.

12 Likes

I expect to be re-quoting a lot from this article over the next few years.

Here’s a quote [boldface mine]. Sound familiar?

With evident fatigue, the baker reported, “One had no time to think. There was so much going on.” His account was similar to that of one of Mayer’s colleagues, a German philologist in the country at the time, who emphasized the devastatingly incremental nature of the descent into tyranny and said that “we had no time to think about these dreadful things that were growing, little by little, all around us.” The philologist pointed to a regime bent on diverting its people through endless dramas (often involving real or imagined enemies), and “the gradual habituation of the people, little by little, to being governed by surprise.” In his account, “each step was so small, so inconsequential, so well explained or, on occasion, ‘regretted,’” that people could no more see it “developing from day to day than a farmer in his field sees the corn growing. One day it is over his head.”

Also from NY Review of Books, the famous Masha Gessen article:

Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality. Consider the financial markets this week, which, having tanked overnight, rebounded following the Clinton and Obama speeches. Confronted with political volatility, the markets become suckers for calming rhetoric from authority figures. So do people. Panic can be neutralized by falsely reassuring words about how the world as we know it has not ended.

16 Likes
8 Likes