U.S. Senators unveil bill that would them ban Tik Tok and other foreign sites

Originally published at: U.S. Senators unveil bill that would them ban Tik Tok and other foreign sites | Boing Boing

4 Likes

technology tied to […] Cuba

Bwahahahahaha!

1 Like

Clearly there is some hand wringing going on by the right but Chinese law obligates TikTok’s parent company ByteDance to “support, assist, and cooperate with state intelligence work.”

Use and consume at your own risk.

6 Likes

I think the headline posting duck is drunk. Could we try again so I know what this post is about?

2 Likes

I think an “enable” was not enabled.

2 Likes

Okayyyyyy. Should the rest of the world start blocking access to sites/apps/services that exfiltrate their data to the US and, under US law, must hand over whatever the NSA wants and cover up the fact that they did it?

Cos there’d be fuck all left to do on the internet if so.

nuclear explosion GIF

7 Likes

My nephew’s Just Dance 4 moves are such a critical security risk…

4 Likes

What are some other “foreign websites” eligible for a federal ban? How about USA websites associated with USA citizens with ‘foreign’ names? Hey, ‘Trump’ and ‘Gingrich’ and "McConnell’ sound pretty foreign to me. 8-(

Hm. What’s the voter demographic for Tik Tok users?

1 Like

Many turned 18 in the last couple years and legions more will turn 18 in the next couple of years. Why? Do you think this might motivate them to register to vote and then do so in 2024? :smirk:

4 Likes

I’m thinking that a bunch of old fogy politicians don’t really understand how fast social media stans can organize and mobilize.

I’m not saying that they would, or which way they’d break, but it can happen.

4 Likes

The app is definitely a data-hose, though. They’ve already shown how much tracking is capable with most info and data out there, but TikTok is setup to grab everything it can touch. It’s a bit facetious to say the concern is just the media it hosts.

That said, our digital privacy is in an omnishambles, as is, and TikTok is just taking advantage of that.

4 Likes

but domestic surveillance sites … I mean Facebook are fine

1 Like

Which makes it different from Google, Facebook, and Twitter, how?

I don’t want any of those to be snooping, but they all are. Maybe they need to lock down gov’t phones from having any of these apps before they start banning them.

5 Likes

Yep, agreement here. I am struggling to make sense of the headline.

Should ‘them’ be ‘then’? I dunno.

Huawei published a legal opinion from a Chinese law firm stating that subsidiaries outside China were not subject to the National Intelligence Law. Conversely, a Swedish law firm published an report stating that the law applies to foreign subsidiaries of Chinese companies.

2 Likes

The difference is that, when reverse-engineered, TikTok represents what a security researcher would design specifically to dragnet data. The others are networks with a byline in invasive data sales for marketing, and TikTok’s spyware with a network strapped on top.

2 Likes

You just described an apple and the fruits that grow on apple trees…

4 Likes

Sport Soccer GIF by Real Madrid

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.