Uber and Lyft agree to stop forcing driver sexual assault victims into arbitration, confidentiality agreements

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/15/when-drivers-rape.html

4 Likes

But no, they don’t do it voluntarily, but because they’re forced to. Christ, what giant assholes. May their whole business model die in a fire. “A plague on both of your houses!”

4 Likes

How is it even possible that arbitration can be applied to a criminal offense? I must not have been paying attention because I thought that it was restricted to civil law.

Where’s the dividing line, then? Murder? Kidnapping? Mutilation?

And if none of those apply, then how on $DIETY’s green Earth can it be allowed to hold force in a rape case?

9 Likes

I was under the impression the arbitration was regarding lawsuits, not the criminal prosecution of the act itself.

5 Likes

Because it’s not? These are all relating to civil suits for damages. In the US, criminal charges are generally brought by the state, not individuals.

3 Likes

Cynicism aside, I wonder how those arbitration meetings went? I guess we’ll never know.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.