Uber driver with two passengers in car gets arrested for attempted rape and aggravated burglary

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/24/uber-driver-with-two-passenger.html

1 Like

So the guy signed up for Uber, committed crimes, and his background re-eval didn’t tick over before the cops got him? Seems pretty open and shut.

As far as I know there isn’t a continual background check service that Uber could subscribe to, I’m not sure what else they could do in this situation except try to be more lucky.

2 Likes

Yes, but…DID THE PASSENGERS GET TO THEIR DESTINATION?

3 Likes

Four stars but driver too rapey

2 Likes

The platform claims to perform a background check on all its drivers…

Remember a few years back when a contractor for the Fed was just giving everybody a pass and shredding the forms?

1 Like

It shouldn’t be UBER doing the checks. For anyone performing a taxi driver roll, the state should do the checks and provide the driver with a license. Uber then checks the license.

Why should Uber be given any access to criminal records as an example?

Why should any company?

4 Likes

Title has implication that he attempted these crimes on his current passengers.

3 Likes

Agreed. It also ignores the fact that as of the time of his arrest he hadn’t been convicted of anything, just wanted for questioning. In other words, there’s no criminal record on him yet. Just a generally click baity story all around.

3 Likes

“was arrested for” is not the same thing as “was convicted”. I see nothing in the reporting to indicate he has any prior convictions. Therefore, he passes the background check.

2 Likes

well, they’re public records, so there’s that.

the state should do the checks

that’s how that works, the company requests that the state release criminal records on you.

and provide the driver with a license

The state does this already as well.

Are you proposing a special kind of license you can get from the state that proves you don’t have a criminal record? Because licenses aren’t for that.

3 Likes

Unnnggghhhhh

I’ll look forward to a new edit of their apology ad

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.