Uber-driving lawyer explains to cop why he doesn't have to stop video recording him

This guy was brave to defy the police when they told him to stop recording. But it was frustrating to see him cooperate with them in basically every other way, providing all kinds of information and evidence both against himself and the guy who they were arresting.

You don’t have to answer police questions. And especially when they’re already trying to bully you into not recording, there is absolutely no reason not to assert your right to remain silent.

3 Likes

Not an expert, but the unconstitutional part of “stop and frisk” was, I think, that they targeted young minority men exclusively for the practice. If I remember correctly, if the NYPD had done it evenly across the city to a wide range of demographics, it would have been fine. And they would have picked up a lot of drug arrests on Wall St, by the way. But then, of course, political pressure would have been brought to bear and the practice would have just quietly died.

2 Likes

“We’ll see how smart you are when the K9 comes.”

– Shawn Corey Carter

I’m totally on his (the driver’s) side, but . . .

We all know that 6 months from now, after letting his Law license lapse, he’ll be the star of some Undercover-Uber driver reality show that lasts less than a year. Making fun of teenagers, drunks, tourists, non-licencee’s, etc.

The first two cops not only insisted on the existence of a brand new anti-taping law, but actually threatened him with arrest. It’s only when they figured out he was a real lawyer (at the local court house no less) that the tone changed.

If he wasn’t a lawyer I suspect he would have been intimidated into stopping the recording and/or arrested, especially if he wasn’t white.

3 Likes

I hope not - I thought I heard him voluntarily inform on his passenger which could inicate how well he was “handled” (or how scared he was).

Don’t you mean 4th? The 4th is in many ways our least healthy at this point. Nearly any excuse to breach it is accepted by courts. One I’m best familiar with is building inspectors ignoring your right to demand a warrant, affirmed a half century ago by SCOTUS in Camara vs SF. They’ll use the same intimidation tactics that the cops do, and then lie in court about it.

1 Like

ha, yes i meant the 4th…

Do you perchance to have a link? I had not heard this and it gives me a glimmer of hope.
Good on this lady for doing the right thing, consciously or not. Doing the right and ethical thing should be a practiced and perfected reflex, it isn’t instinct (well, mb or mb not based on primate studies of bonobos and so on?)

It’s like that ad w the cop playing basketball w those kids… respect mah authoritah? watch this right hook shot!

A couple years ago on my kayak I fished a guy out of the SF Bay who was in trouble (cracked his rental sit-a-top and maybe a rib or two) and it was just a reflex to see someone in clear peril and there is only one thing the decent among us can do. Act. Resist. Strive to do what is right and decent and just. It is our nature.

1 Like

Chief Ralph Evangelous is Police Stating wrong. Bless him.

Good job! Now he just has to stop driving for those vicious scabs.

The part that bothers me the most about this encounter was that the cop told him to get out of the car when asked “what is the law” presumably to arrest or “school” the citizen for daring to question a cop.
Edit to add: calling a K-9 is calling for a pretense to search. Those handlers simply claim the dog alerted and no one can question that.

Ooh, cream of Rhenium

It was also a probable cause issue. You can’t just stop someone for walking down the street and search them. That’s an illegal search.

3 Likes

“censured”

The first one I came across. There’s enough info there to do more in depth searches if you’re so inclined.

In some accounts she attributes her action to “angels lifting her up” (which I interpret not literally, but as an unconscious reflex based on her religious background), but you know what, if your religion causes you to help others rather than discriminate against them, then there’s a lesson for a lot of religious folks right there…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.