Uber's ad drones mock Mexican commuters

I had the same thought, except if you’re in a traffic jam and traffic is already slow, a passenger from another car could scoop one up. They must have nearby pilots or at least transponders to recover when they’re lost,

2 Likes

Is this the real life?
Is this just fantasy?
Caught in a landslide
No escape from reality
Open your eyes
Look up to the skies and see~

12 Likes

Blame the FAA! Big government preventing free enterprise, or something.

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=18295

7 Likes

9 Likes

If @doctorow hasn’t found or invented one already and used it in his books, he probably should. A lot of his stories are near-future tales which talk about the downsides of some of our more ubiquitous technologies.

3 Likes

I’m not sure if the Germans have one; but here in Capitalist America; if you here some tech bro use the term ‘disruptive’ you are pretty likely to have found an instance of what you describe.

Really, since Silicon Valley moved away from boring engineer stuff and switched to doing lines of VC money; they’ve been a downright tragic tale of some rather impressive tech pressed into service for surveillance, advertising, and a hip, modern, smartphone-enabled, revival of ‘casual labor’.

12 Likes

…and then someone got annoyed, and greedy, and used a smart phone and some IoT bullshittery to start jacking those flying piggy banks.

7 Likes

I dunno.

I thought “disruptive” basically just meant that it’s cutting the bottom out of somebody else’s business model.

8 Likes

Volcanoes? Wat wat wat

Take an Uber, see a volcano?
No comprende

10 Likes

Going solely with my observations here in Tijuana, I see the response being, “See the volcanoes? I got my own car, güey!”

2 Likes

Or, as they’re called in Mexico, commuters.

3 Likes

It’s better than that. The gentleman is expressing disappointment in something he imagines. Maybe a web site isn’t the real problem.

2 Likes

Uber. What you’re looking for is Uber, and it’s because they suck. Are we pining again for when all media was objective? Remember the Maine!

ETA: That came out way snarkier than intended. Apologies.

3 Likes

Be careful.

2 Likes

That was certainly the original meaning; and it may still be the current one in some areas; but (at least in my probably-jaundiced view) once our precious little innovators started to run out of soft-target legacy competitors; they moved on to ‘disrupting’ a variety of things that may have been that way for a reason, with assorted unpleasant results.

‘Disruption’ is all well and good when it comes to microcomputers shaking up the mainframe market and such; but all the precious ‘gig economy’ types have done their best to show its genuinely ugly face.

10 Likes

Shaming ain’t good.

But bugging people in public to use public services that benefit many is a far cry from bugging people in public to use private services that benefit a few.

5 Likes

Hey look, free drone.

12 Likes

I dunno, more car pooling would benefit the public. Reducing pollution, which benefits even people who don’t drive. Just because someone might make a buck off it doesn’t make it wrong.

2 Likes

I’m just a poor drone
Mocking you for driving alone

Because it’s a little fast, little slow
Easy stop, easy go

13 Likes

It’s all coming true.

9 Likes