UK isolated to prevent spread of mutant coronavirus strain

5 Likes

…or both those things combined with positive feedback.

?

How can there be panic buying of non-existent veggies?

3 Likes

I was thinking more of vegetable shortages leading to panic buying leading to more shortages leading to more buying, etc.

3 Likes

Ah. Yes, I can certainly see that in a more general sense.

3 Likes

It’s unclear if this increase is due to something inherent about the virus, the behavior of people infected, or a combination of both.

What grabbed people’s attention was a correlation. In response to the winter wave of infections throughout Europe, the UK had restarted a set of social restrictions intended to bring infection levels back down. And in most of the country, those restrictions were working as intended. But not in the southeast and east of the UK. And it was precisely that region where levels of the B.1.1.7 strain were highest. In one county, B.1.1.7 accounted for over 20 percent of all new infections by mid-December, and that number has gone up since.

4 Likes

I visited my local Co-Op at 7PM today. The fresh produce racks looked just as empty as that.

I live in a small town. Demand has never emptied it so fast.

4 Likes

Seems like shutting down travel/access would have worked better if there wasn’t an announcement prior…

“which may be up to 70% more transmissible”

So increase social distancing to 10.2 feet. Too easy

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.