UK isolated to prevent spread of mutant coronavirus strain

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/21/uk-isolated-to-prevent-spread-of-mutant-coronavirus-strain.html

3 Likes

NB That there is a picture of our Prime Minister, not a mutant virus.
But if the shoe fits…

15 Likes

Surely in the tradition of “fog in the channel, continent cut off” this should be world isolated from Britain?

11 Likes

The article has a headline about a mutant coronavirus strain, and then leads with a photo of Boris Johnson.

Coronavirus would like it clarified that Boris is not, and never has been, part of the Coronavirus family. Whilst Coronavirus has killed over a million people worldwide, it doesn’t use racist language like “picaninnies” and “watermelon smiles”, nor does it espouse debunked “trickle down” and “austerity” economic theories. It treats every human it comes into contact with equally, regardless of which school they went to. It also acts quickly and decisively, without a care for headlines, which is something that Boris Johnson has rarely done.

Coronavirus is merely surviving by replicating in a parasitical manner that affects complex hosts adversely, often resulting in death. But it takes no pleasure in the effects of that survival. It merely is.

If it had feelings and sentience, Coronavirus would sue for defamation due to the possible confusion this article could cause.

Note for editors: Callous, unthinking, coldly selfish and concerned only with itself, Boris Johnson is somehow Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.

24 Likes

30 Likes

Why should we think that this is the result a new strain, rather than the expected outcome of Tory “herd immunity” efforts?

Oh well, good thing they got all those billions for the NHS.

5 Likes

It’s a BBC weather report which exhibited a certain exceptionalism and insularity.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/27917601?seq=1

6 Likes

Let’s see what the UK looks like… 28 days later.

8 Likes

COVID gives the UK a preview of what’s in store for the country after a no-deal Brexit (in actual stores, perhaps not even the “adequate food” promised by the Tories).

All my best to our UK readers headed into what’s bound to be a difficult time.

11 Likes

thinking the same.
“you wanted Brexit. here’s your hard Brexit”

8 Likes

Now I’m thinking of that clip from “28 Days Later” when they realize because the UK is an island, the rest of the world has just quarantined them all until the virus runs its course.

7 Likes

Dammit, I was gonna make that joke…

3 Likes

But was it though? I seem to recall that no one has actually been able to track down any evidence for it.

It just so perfectly encapsulates a certain viewpoint that it seems as though it should be real.

Googles:

TLDR - lots of people quoting it, no actual record of any such actual statement or report.

4 Likes

Not remotely surprised to tell the truth. I went to look for a headline and instead I saw a load of academic articles using it as a metaphor. And it is the most Brexit metaphor ever.

6 Likes

I was gonna say 28 weeks, just to be safer…

1 Like

That is a picture of the PM before one being confronted by something horrifying displayed by the current PM.

2 Likes

They can always eat the mold in their old jam jars.

Herd immunity!

1 Like

This feels oddly appropriate considering the tories are about to drive us all into the abyss in a week and a half.

3 Likes

if nothing else, allowing the virus to spread virtually unchecked is exactly where mutations and new strains come from.

5 Likes

Must have been updated - no Boris pic there now.

Because it has been sequenced and is definitely a mutation.

3 Likes