UK protestors topple statue of slave trader, throw it in the river

If you get some scuba gear and a block and tackle, can you claim it as salvage?

5 Likes

Nicolas Cage movie incomingā€¦

6 Likes

Canā€™t say the thought hasnā€™t crossed my mind! :grin:

I expect it will probably be recovered by the local authority, and my guess is it will be scrapped rather than reinstated.

4 Likes

The Society of Merchant Venturers will probably claim it, but getting the statue back up where it was will be a lot harder than it was to finally get it down. It will end up in a privately owned garden or something.

5 Likes
8 Likes

Some history in this thread:

9 Likes

Thereā€™s talk in Oxford about protesting at Oriel College, where there is a statue of Cecil Rhodes

11 Likes

Good.
Whereā€™s that Kipling one on a campus or is that gone already?

5 Likes
20 Likes

How history actually gets erased:

18 Likes

When the clicked on the article I assumed it would be talking about the 1850ā€™s and 1860ā€™s. Nope. This happened during the lifetime of people who are still alive to remember it happening.

5 Likes

Oh, I love the Hydraulic Press Channel ā€“ that would be lovely to see! (Or even a special UK version of it just for this.)

3 Likes

Kipling! Not Kipling!

Please donā€™t tell me Kipling was a racist?

:anguished:

3 Likes

Most people only know of ā€œThe Jungle Bookā€ but few have dared look at his military poetry. And I wonā€™t link to it here.

7 Likes

If you remember the 1960s, you werenā€™t really there

3 Likes

Oops, should have said 1860ā€™s up there. Will edit.

3 Likes

By modern terms, absolutely. But he was worlds better than many of his contemporaries, had a genuine (if frequently paternalistic) appreciation of the Indian natives, and was far from an uncritical booster of the Empire like people have tended to claim. Heā€™s well worth reading, even ā€“ especially ā€“ if you disagree with his politics; the man could really spin a yarn.

6 Likes

Iā€™ve read a few of his books and I read his short stories as a child. I have great fondness for his writing.

5 Likes

You do have to leave on the ā€œbit of a racistā€ filter while reading him.
ā€œHe wasnā€™t the worst,ā€ isnā€™t a great defence, but I get your point.

11 Likes

(As far as I know the Kipling that makes cakes is still OK.)

5 Likes