Report: UK "Ransomware consultants" Red Mosquito promise to unlock your data, but they're just paying off the criminals (and charging you a markup!)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/24/red-mosquito-bloodsuckers.html

3 Likes

I wonder for what percent of Red Mosquito’s customer base, this is actually acceptable.

They get to claim “We did not negotiate with extortionists, nor further their business model by paying the ransom.”

Even if they know the above is actually false, as long as their customers / stakeholders never learn the truth…

5 Likes

Once again, it seems like the warning was in the name. “Red Mosquito.” When was the last time something named “mosquito” was a good thing? Have you considered seeing if “Crimson Nosferatu” could help you?

I see this as one more facet in the wondrous diamond that is our lives now.

Stay alert. Trust no one. Keep your laser handy.

10 Likes

I guess it’s an accurate enough DBA name, given that they’re the direct result of a fever-swamp ecosystem.

5 Likes

… aaaand there’s a fairly obvious opportunity for some vertical integration here.

5 Likes
1 Like

Mid-nineties

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.