Ultraprocessing veggies makes them bad for you

(Chucks the gochukaru & aquafaba into the compost)

4 Likes

Luckily rutabaga and avocado just make the cut.

2 Likes

They sell this brand of frozen pizza at Costco. The Ann Arbor Costco does, at any rate. But they only sell pepperoni, and I don’t eat pepperoni, so I’ve never tried it. :woman_shrugging:

A Buddy’s opened in Pittsfield Township a few years ago, I’m not impressed. Jet’s legit has a better Detroit style pizza.

2 Likes

In total agreement on the Jet’s vs Buddy’s argument.

3 Likes

LOL, we’re both heretics. :joy:

3 Likes

My first take was that they were slagging on things like fake meat and other products where they take, say, peas and perform all sorts of processing and extraction until they have something that kinda tastes like salami.

So yeah, duh. That’s not answering the question of whether the “ultra processed” stuff is better or worse than the animal based product it’s imitating. Also whether the plant based thingy is better from an environmental standpoint and so on.

Oh, and of course it’s not healthy, that it’s better to have veggies that aren’t masquerading as meat, but when I crave salami, or a hamburger, I am looking to promote those things that use less energy, create less pollution and greenhouse gasses, and so on. I’m too old to go cold turkey.

1 Like

Idk. While everyone’s arguing about ‘ultra-processing’ there is a world of difference between fermenting something and hydrogenation.

Fermentation is one of the oldest forms of food preservation. Consuming fermented foods is great for your gut and can make some vitamins more bioavailable. So, yes, consuming more salt and vinegar can make sense. Fermentation is distinctly “lightly processed”.

Hydrogenation? We invented hydrogenation to process whale oil to make it consumable as a food-stuff. Early 20th century, we were busy killing off the whales because they were there. We needed to find some great way to sell all the whale oil, so we processed it into margarine.

So, yes, there is a continuum of processing, but that doesn’t mean there’s a difference between products made by reconstituting commodity cereal crops with palm oil for shelf stability. The paper poorly defines ‘ultra processed foods’, but the concept isn’t so much laughable as tricky to nail down.

8 Likes

Is this the fault of the “ultra processed veggies” or the fact that food containing these things is more likely to also be chock full of things like added fats, trans fats, added sugars, and corn syrup (all to make it more addictive by tickling our pleasure centers); not to mention artificial flavors and colors, preservatives, and other additives?

I’ve grown up around health food nuts and this seems a lot like the kind of woo I heard throughout my childhood. I’ll buy that processing many kinds of food can strip away nutrients (news flash: so can simply cooking it) but making it “dangerous” in of itself seems highly questionable to me.

8 Likes

I felt a bit overwhelmed by Diet advice in the past so I ba

Edit
I got interrupted by a phone call and sausage fingered the buttons. I was trying to say that with all the dietary advice I was overwhelmed and so decided that my food should be colourful and if it’s sold in a box I shouldn’t by it too often.

1 Like

At the risk of making myself look foolish, I wonder if you’re making a joke that’s going over my head… (e.g., “So I ba”—sically don’t bother anymore …and to reinforce that, didn’t “bother” finishing the sentence—that would be a nice subtle joke…)

…but if there’s more to the story, and you accidentally clicked “Reply” without the rest of it, I’d be interested to know what you were going to say :blush:

2 Likes

tenor (1)

4 Likes

My recollection is that it was first devised as a way of making candles, then someone figured out (to quote R. Wiggum) “paste tastes good” & here we are.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.