US government may demand we stop considering potatoes a vegetable

Originally published at: US government may demand we stop considering potatoes a vegetable - Boing Boing

5 Likes

Ok, so the USDA is just troIIing us by calling tomatoes “vegetables,” right?

29 Likes

This is reminiscent of the reclassification of Pluto.

13 Likes

That was literally my first thought :slight_smile:

Canada considers it a veggie, and it looks like Europe is a bit of mixed bag, but does in fact lump it into being a starch or with grains more often than not:

16 Likes

Gotta admit, in my house, potatoes are considered a “starch,” separate from veggies. Of course, as we are all very aware, if I was running things, we would probably be in worse shape than we are currently, so YMMV.

33 Likes

Sheesh, next you’ll be telling us that you don’t properly classify your olive oil as “fruit juice.”

27 Likes

Ours too! Wisdom passed from great grandma is one starch per meal, but as many vegetables as you want.

But, my first thought was that it sure ain’t an animal or a mineral, so that leaves vegetable!

18 Likes

It does cause one to consider, do we classify apples as “fruit,” or as “pome?” A plum as “fruit” or “drupe?” Where does it end? Oh, the madness!!

16 Likes

I don’t know, but potatoes are pomme de terre (earth apples) in French. :thinking:

17 Likes

9 Likes

So pizza is a veggie but not potatoes. Got it.

11 Likes

But hard cider still counts, right?

10 Likes

All thanks to the Supreme Court’s interpretation of the 1883 Tariff Act:

https://www.thecre.com/forum8/?p=1748

14 Likes

It must be time to march this back out. Berry Club

29 Likes

Potatoes are pretty nutritious; you get enough vitamin C from them to stave off scurvy, for example.

19 Likes

Remember when the Regan folks called ketchup a vegetable?

14 Likes

But not if you fry them:

Vitamin C begins to denature at temperatures as low as 86 °F,

Degradation of vitamins, probiotics and other active ingredients caused by exposure to heat, water and sunlight.

13 Likes

doctor who GIF

7 Likes
14 Likes

You can pry my juice box from my cold dead hands!

17 Likes