Giving vegetables seductive names gets people to eat them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/06/13/giving-vegetables-seductive-na.html

2 Likes

I’d sure like that sexy butternut squash recipe, though.

3 Likes

So, essentially, advertising works.
Who knew?

(I would assiduously avoid any food labeled “twisted,” myself. But then again, I like vegetables just fine.)

9 Likes

5 Likes

25 Likes

This is the same reasoning that i explain the popularity of (ugly) skinny jeans and “smart” water.

Most vegetables like say, carrots are sexy even without fancy descriptions.

or say, eggplants.

12 Likes

I believe this has been dubbed the “Detroit Rule” by Mr. Weinersmith of SMBC, named in honour of the one descriptor which proves the exception to the rule.

2 Likes

Cafeteria beets are just not very exciting. From experience if I see ‘beets’ on the menu I assume it’s plain sliced roasted/steamed (boring) or the disgusting syruped up red slices and will skip it.

If you instead tell me it’s ‘chili and lime beets’, now I’m interested. You don’t even have to call it dynamite or tangy. The point is you’ve told me it’s not boring old steamed unseasoned beets.

Also, if you’re pushing how healthy it it’s probably also mediocre (based on long experience), so I will skip that too.

6 Likes

Detroit-style pizza is very good

3 Likes

Kids eat your orange glazed penis salad.

2 Likes

It seems that anything that is longer than it is wide can be seen as ‘sexy’.

:wink:

I tell you it’s ‘chili and lime beets’.

You are now interested.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Is that thick or thin crust?

1 Like

“That’s the gist of a new study from Stanford university psychologists who gave cafeteria vegetables more “indulgent” names to see if students would buy them more often. Healthy labels (“wholesome,” etc) didn’t do well but indulgent labels (“sizzlin’”, “dynamite,” etc.) boosted vegetable sales by 25%.”

And I always thought that only smart people went to Stanford. Or do the aspiring MBAs have their own cafeteria?

2 Likes

Calling standard fare food under some exotic name also helps. I mean you can have cheese dip or queso dip. You can have chicken soup or (in a french accent) coq au vin.

2 Likes

Or, without the snark, it shows that all of us are subject to these kinds of manipulations.

2 Likes

Thick crust, but toasted to a crisp on the bottom, usually in a square pan, with cheese under the sauce

1 Like

Creepy. Is it a book about embarrassed catatonic people?

1 Like

Does not parse properly. Please check grammar.

2 Likes