Giving vegetables seductive names gets people to eat them

Study cites and seems to rely heavily on Wansink’s earlier claims about the effect of renaming cafetaria veges. You will recall that Wansink was just making up numbers out of the blue.

2 Likes

I’ll have an order of steamy double-ended eggplant.

Hold the cream sauce.

1 Like

Sounds sort of like… deep-dish??? No idea.

I’m a NY-style, myself. THIN CRUST.

1 Like

I like pizza in general. As long as a particular pizza is delicious then i don’t care what style it’s in. I do prefer a nice crispy NY style pizza though.

3 Likes

These twisted carrots are gently sauteed in rapeseed oil…

(“Hey boss, can’t we call it something else?”

2 Likes

Charred sous vide carrots with dill and honey glaze.

1 Like

Not on everyone…I don’t care how you describe it or what you put on it, if there’s a brussels sprout or lima bean on my plate I’m not gonna eat it. As a kid, I couldn’t get our always-hungry family dog to eat them, either. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The English language isn’t any more indigenous to the US than Spanish or French are.

Eh, properly cooked brussel sprouts are quite nice, even if I find them normally awful. The biggest point in their favor is to disassemble them into leaves that can be cooked evenly so you don’t end up with an awful bitter mess, and then you have to give some accompanying flavors. We use chicken broth and a bit of bacon fat rendered out from two strips of bacon for a pound or so of sprouts.

Man, now I want sprouts again.

Edit: Nothing saves lima beans though. Chalky, awful creatures.

1 Like

Actually I just assumed that twisted carrots, like twisted lemonade or twisted iced tea, had liquor in there.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t call it thick crust pizza (as in Chicago style deep dish), but definitely not thin crust either. Had some a couple of months ago; never even heard of Detroit style before that. Really good.

1 Like

Oddly, altho I was a picky eater as a kid, for some strange reason I liked both of those things.

1 Like

That’s a whole other conversation but food presented as being “exotic” by calling it under some other language is usually enough to tempt people.

This just wreaks of one of those studies that is later debunked or can’t be replicated. But since the topic is so dull, I bet it’s never challenged and lives on as a myth for decades.

2 Likes

Except coq au vin isn’t chicken soup. It’s a braised chicken dish. If I saw coq au vin on the menu and got chicken soup I’d be pretty annoyed.

I suspect that relabeling of this nature, if it isn’t a statistical phantom, would suffer from a powerful regression to the mean. If I see ‘glazed’ on the menu, I assume a terrifying amount of sugar was added to get the glaze. People may be trying to get the less-healthy but more-tasty alternatives and being serially disappointed.

4 Likes

I haven’t had Coq au vin so i was taking a gamble on using that example but my general point still stands :slight_smile:

People have emotions.

1 Like

2 Likes

Yeah, but I worked with at least one person who wouldn’t eat in the company cafeteria because the meat and potatoes had confusing foreign names instead of good old American meat and potatoes names

Jesus, someone should, like, invent a whole industry based around this concept! Nah, it’s too absurd.