Giving vegetables seductive names gets people to eat them

Yessssss. Works well to just cut them into halves or quarters too.

4 Likes

You have passed the ‘taste test’!

1 Like

Perhaps - but it seems to me that in order to know what is exotic, we would first need to consider what is local, what constitutes our native language.

Another reason why I think there is some Eurocentric bias embedded is that foods from the far east often need to do just the opposite, to sound as occidental as possible. Why buy Komatsuna when one can buy “Japanese Mustard Spinach”? The names are almost always versions of distantly-related but yet far more familar-sounding foods.

Not unlike how in much of the earlier 20th century, marketing a product as having been “imported” made it sound very rare and exclusive. But in the early 21st century USians do not brag about importing most items from China, Malaysia, or other distant places which they do not regard with much esteem.

This doesn’t work so well when your kids shout “I love penis!” in the cafeteria.

2 Likes

Do you want Freedom Fries with that?

3 Likes

‘Prior to 1967, the tamarillo was known as the “tree tomato” in New Zealand, but a new name was chosen by the New Zealand Tree Tomato Promotions Council in order to distinguish it from the ordinary garden tomato and increase its exotic appeal.[2] The choice is variously explained by similarity to the word “tomato”, the Spanish word “amarillo”, meaning yellow,[7] and a variation on the Maori word “tama”, for “leadership”.[citation needed]’

1 Like

Any parent that takes my advice deserves to be this week’s featured bad parent. I wasn’t very kid safe when my kids were young but now I should probably wear a permanent “Not suitable for children” sign. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love Five Guys in my mouth, but my butthole takes a beating afterward.

2 Likes

I guess your mouth and butt aren’t used to all that juicy meat

2 Likes

7 Likes

That title is hard to parse. Essentially it means this:

1. His butt pounded itself somehow
  2. He wrote a book about it
  3. That book pounded his butt
  4. ???
  5. He got a Hugo nomination
3 Likes

This is why he’s the Shakespeare of our generation. Or maybe Shakespeare is the proto-Chuck Tingle of his generation. Without the butt pounding. That we know of.

3 Likes

Romeo And Juliet, Act 2 Scene 1

If love be blind, love cannot hit the mark.
Now will he sit under a medlar tree
And wish his mistress were that kind of fruit
As maids call medlars when they laugh alone.—
O Romeo, that she were! Oh, that she were
An open arse, and thou a poperin pear.

Sonnet 151:

Love is too young to know what conscience is;
Yet who knows not, conscience is born of love?
Then, gentle cheater, urge not my amiss,
Lest guilty of my faults thy sweet self prove.
For thou betraying me, I do betray
My nobler part to my gross body’s treason;
My soul doth tell my body that he may
Triumph in love; flesh stays no farther reason,
But rising at thy name, doth point out thee
As his triumphant prize. Proud of this pride,
He is contented thy poor drudge to be,
To stand in thy affairs, fall by thy side.
No want of conscience hold it that I call
Her ‘love,’ for whose dear love I rise and fall.

I’m pretty sure that entire sonnet is about his dick.

4 Likes

From the 90’s movie Class Act final act during a quiz showdown between two rival schools:

Host: The question is: In William Shakespeare’s play “Much Ado About Nothing” Benedict said, “Living in your heart, die in your lap, and be buried in your eyes.” What is the meaning of the word “die” the way he has used?
Host: Tell your response, please.

[Blade hears/sees a Flashback]
[Ellen]: … “Die”, as he was on
used, was meant …
… “Die” meant
“To experience sexual orgasm.”

Host: That means the ISPRS … [Interrupted by Buzzer] Sorry.
Blade: It means to experience sexual orgasm.
Host: This is the correct answer.

Edit: was trying to find a clip of the original scene of the flashback or of the quiz bit but alas its not on youtube.

2 Likes

Interestingly, New Zealand also had the opposite happen with Chinese gooseberry…

Ah, medlars, the fruit you can’t eat until they’re already rotten. You’re going to need a really really seductive name to make them appealing.

1 Like

Mespilus germanica fruits are hard and acidic, but become edible after being softened, ‘bletted’, by frost, or naturally in storage given sufficient time. Once softening begins, the skin rapidly takes on a wrinkled texture and turns dark brown, and the inside reduces to the consistency and flavour reminiscent of apple sauce. This process can confuse those new to medlars, as a softened fruit looks as if it has spoiled.

Sounds like plantains. Generally you’ll want to wait until the skin has gone black and soft before using for cooking applications. Though you can indeed use it for certain recipes when green or semi-mature (for plantains i mean).

You need to take them to a better class of restaurant

2 Likes

“Bletted” is one my favourite words (for medlars, quinces, persimmons). Apparently the word was not coined (or rather, stolen from French) until 1835. Perhaps in the hope of making the fruit sound more exotic & seductive.