US government may demand we stop considering potatoes a vegetable

I keep telling my house mate (who dislikes them) to just Give Peas a Change.

Then I have to duck whatever gets thrown at me… :smiley:

(Also: Visualize Whorled Peas…)

10 Likes

Sorry but Pluto will always be a tuber to me.

20 Likes

Seems fairly logical to put them with all the other underground grains like … uh …

8 Likes

Boiling is worse- the (water soluble) vitamin C is extracted and then chucked away.

This study claims that:

the high temperature and short transit time of the frying process cause less loss of heat labile vitamins than other types of cooking. For example, vitamin C concentrations of French fried potatoes are as high as in raw potatoes

12 Likes

I wish to dispute that, Doc. I’d trust you a hell of a lot more than the people that wish to make my existence illegal. :hugs:

16 Likes

The Supreme Court, having nothing better to do in 1893, declared that a tomato was a vegetable. For customs reasons:

Nix v. Hedden - Wikipedia.

7 Likes

Welp, I suppose potatoes will be selling out soon after Fox reports that Biden’s War On Idaho is trying to take away our spuds.

11 Likes

Animation Movie GIF

This was my first thought, too. Cue the right-wing supporters gorging themselves on Freedom Fries washed down with big glasses of whole milk. :roll_eyes: They might even start dunking them…

Disgusted Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

13 Likes

So frying potatoes is bad?
And so is boiling them?

I’m not sure what to do with this one, even if I could catch and corner the bugger…

I mean, it looks like it could put up a fight, doesn’t it?

Guess what I typed in the search engine to find this pic.
Yep, “Feral Potato”.
I think I’m done for this year.

14 Likes

I think that varmint used to live in my crawl space! Scared the heck out of me. Went scuttling away when we came at it with the blow torch.
Was a shame about the house burning down, but at least he’s gone.

12 Likes

Honestly, this is when you need Sigourney on speed-dial.

12 Likes

As stated before, when it comes to pea-ness, its not the size that counts but how you use it.

5 Likes

NYT headline:
“Biden and Dems’ “Green New Deal” will take away burgers and fries”
/s

7 Likes

You say grain; I say vegetable.

No; wait. You spell potatoe; I spell potato.

Ah - stuff it. Let’s call the whole thing “off”.

6 Likes

With what - sour cream and chives; Brie; bacon and cheddar? So many possibilities!

Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

11 Likes

I remember a while ago they tried to say potatoes weren’t a vegetable in the very narrow context of school lunches, because the way they were being served wasn’t meeting nutritional guidelines (this was pre-first lady Obama’s awesome improvements on that front) and senators from Maine and Idaho fought it hard.
ETA: also, that stat that the average American consumes 50# of the spuds per year seems wild! Does that take food waste into account?

6 Likes

I had to search to make sure that wasn’t already a real NYT headline. Ugh.

3 Likes

The term vegetable isn’t well-defined. It’s all nonsense.

Although I guess the Reagan misadministration did define ketchup as a vegetable so…

3 Likes

It is, kind of, but it can have huge implications for agricultural industries related to industrial food requirements, including the school lunch programs.

12 Likes

Bacon is still a vegetable though, right?

10 Likes