Funeral potatoes are not as grim as they sound

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/29/funeral-potatoes-are-not-as-gr.html

3 Likes

Funeral Potatos… Official…Olympic… pin… wat?

8 Likes

Some friends from out of town left the recipe in a cookbook for us.

26 Likes

14 Likes

Came up in my feed, and a friends as well. We were both “WTF Wal-Mart”

Mine also included 1) a small animal trap (for minks and what not), 2) a gilded “massage tool”, and 3) a “Paw washer” (which looked like Hentai meets fleshlight)

3 Likes

We called them funeral potatoes in the area I grew up in Michigan.

5 Likes

Delicious Hot Flaky Yum Mourning

2 Likes

This is church potluck and holiday meal staple through out the South, as well. But we just call it “hash brown casserole.”

2 Likes

I see your funeral potatoes, and I rise you huesos de santo (saint’s bones)…

tetillas de monja (nun’s little tits)…

and, why not, brazo de gitano (gipsy’s arm)…

9 Likes

I ade a huge post on FB about this as it creeped me out the other day.

I don’t care what the fuck they are, I don’t care what tradition they are, you don’t call food FUNERAL ANYTHING except in mocking tones.

4 Likes

We had a copy of the Lutheran Chuch Ladies Basement Cook book or something like that. Tehre was a whole chapter on the Dead Spread for post funeral service food.

IIRC The book came with a dish towel

6 Likes

8 Likes

This is a well-known thing here in the Midwest/Texas Panhandle, too. There are a few recipes for it in the Methodist church cookbook downstairs.

4 Likes

What? Oh.

I thought there would be seven layers of peas.

6 Likes

In Venezuela we have a colloquial name for a brown sugar bread. Typically its called Catalina in most places, but it also goes by the name Cuca, Which means vagina. Hilarity ensued when a cousin of mine was bringing some in his luggage to the US, he was doing a layover in Mexico and one of the security people asked him what the food was.

10 Likes

cheesy potato casserole is made with hash browns, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, lots of cheese, lots of butter, lots of sour cream

The best part is that they create their own market.

12 Likes

I’m pretty sure this dish and its variants originate in some big food company cookbook from the 50s.

8 Likes

I’m sure you’re correct. I think most of the “comfort” food I was raised on has a similar origin. I think most of it either came from the Better Homes cookbook, or was learned from other family members. My grandmother’s chicken and dressing, I know, came up as a means to keep from wasting stale cornbread and biscuits.

2 Likes

So it’s a big old pot of starch and fat designed to deaden your senses so the passing of a loved one doesn’t hurt as much? Still sounds pretty grim to me.

1 Like

Forty Humans = One Mormon “nuclear” family

2 Likes