Funeral potatoes are not as grim as they sound

As I read, I thought surely there must be a jello salad involved?! Was not disappointed.

4 Likes

As someone who has a dog, the paw washer sounds intriguing … wiping off with a towel doesn’t quite do the trick.

2 Likes

Has anyone ever in the history of food eaten jello and said “the shredded carrots in here improved the dish”?

I like carrot and use it in a lot of dishes but it has no place in Jello. The texture clash is horrendous and they make it messy to serve and don’t do the flavor any favors. It’s a terrible idea all around.

4 Likes

I’ve always heard them called “cheesy potatoes” and seen them at every Midwest Thanksgiving and Christmas

4 Likes

Not as grim?! God this dish sounds ghastly. Given the two cans of cream soup involved, I assume by ‘butter’ they mean ‘margarine’, and by ‘cheese’ they’re referring to that dreadful plastic ‘American cheese’. Gah. Funeral potatoes, indeed. Yours, soon, if you eat this kind of crap on a regular basis…

2 Likes

America is Weird.

4 Likes

Thanks for sparing me the googling, so I can oogle it from a safe distance.

I’m allergic to carrots. But this makes me want to puke for a different reason. Amazing thing, this American Cuisine. Keep it coming.
Oi, on a second though, strike the “coming”.

2 Likes

A nutritious start to your mourning!

And now you know what they do with the ashes…

1 Like

Okay America, you are no longer allowed to say British food is horrible. Fish and chips? Lovely. Yorkshire pudding? Divine. Black pudding? Food. Of. The. Gods (also, shout out to its sexy Caledonian cousin, Haggis).
This? This is basically glue with crisps sprinkled on it, for fuck’s sake.

2 Likes

We have a traditional spring food here that would translate into “Christ’s Ears”, though hoity-toity people often deny that name. It’s basically pork rinds.

1 Like

Did you know that a packet of unflavored gelatin and the cheese pack from KD (mac and cheese) combine into a traditional Canadian desert? At least that’s what I told the people at our multi-ethnic pot luck. And people say I have a bad sense of humor.

6 Likes

I’ve always seen it with green jello.

1 Like

I didn’t say it would be good, just expected, given the other dishes mentioned, and in fact any variation on a jello salad would be expected and just as … uh… palatable.

They sound substantial, and anything with cheese and potatoes is okay in my book. Add sour cream and potato chips?

2 Likes

Same thing here. Also the animal trap. Not sure about the others, I didn’t swipe over.

This describes exactly a 10 minute period of my life yesterday. Facebook feed: “Funeral Potatoes”. WTF? Never heard of them… and spent the next 10 minutes discovering a whole new potato dimension.

1 Like

Hey are you gonna finish those corpse sticks?

2 Likes

“When visiting America, don’t miss out on it’s signature dish: food.” ~ Stephen Colbert

…the cheesy potato casserole is made with hash browns, cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup, lots of cheese, lots of butter, lots of sour cream and … cornflakes

With that much cholesterol, sounds like it helps you get to your own funeral.

You really should report back from there. Germans might be delighted to learn everything about The Potato Dimension.

2 Likes