Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

He also portrayed Bane in the superhero film The Dark Knight Rises (2012), “Mad” Max Rockatansky in the post-apocalyptic film Mad Max: Fury Road (2015), and both Kray twins in the crime thriller Legend (2015).

yeah, I had to look that one up, because when you start by saying Legend, there’s only one movie that goes by that name in this noggin:

9 Likes

Have watched a couple of Jeremy Saulnier films recently, Blue Ruin and Green Room. Definitely not to be confused with Kieślowski’s Colours films…

2 Likes

Blue Ruin was amazing… how was Green Room… I mean, Patrick Stewart as the leader of a neo-nazi gang? That’s got to be amazing, right?

Also… Anton Yelchin was in Green Room, which I didn’t realize…

2 Likes

Yeah, it was just like an episode of Star Trek!

With lots of extra neo-nazis and blood.

2 Likes

Saw that on Christmas Day, 1980, when I was 11. Really liked most of it. Haven’t seen it since. I seem to remember most critics savaged it. I gotta see that again.

3 Likes

I somehow still haven’t seen it, and really want to. Clooney’s character’s dressing room? The one labeled “Room 14” that he falls out of at the 1:00 mark in this trailer?

That room was my office last year. :grin:

12 Likes

Don’t know much about Tom Hardy, except that his Bane was absurd and his Max was the perfect blank for that movie.
However, he is FANTASTIC in a little movie called Locke, where he’s the only character on-screen for the entire (short) run-time. It’s basically “Project Management: the movie” but it’s honestly quite brilliant.

4 Likes

On a simiilar theme: Mr. Bean’s Holiday.
I actually like the whole film (it’s a world apart from the awful first Bean movie, and infused with nice touches of European comedy), but even if you don’t, I defy anyone not to laugh at the wonderful parody of egocentric Cannes auteurs that is Willem Dafoe’s hilarious film-within-a-film
PLAYBACK TIME
A Carson Clay film
Starring Carson Clay
From an original idea by Carson Clay
Director: Carson Clay
etc.
(Skip to 1:37 and then 4:30 to just see the masterpiece itself)

2 Likes

2 Likes

He also plays well a Jewish gangster in Peaky Blinders.

2 Likes

Um. Okay. I didn’t assume it was just like a star trek episode. I’ve seen Patrick Stewart in tons of non-genre stuff. He’s a fine actor, actually and I’m kind of aware of that.

But sorry if I annoyed you by asking about a film in a film thread.

[ETA - you may not have meant that comment to be hostile, but it came off that way. It might be me, as I’m not in a great mood… if so, sorry. I just wanted to know if you liked the film is all]

1 Like

Umm…

You didn’t annoy me. I just thought it was funny there were a couple of ST actors in it.

Sorry if you thought I was having a go at you. Absolutely not.

FWIW, it’s a fun little genre movie. Stewart doesn’t have much to do, though.

2 Likes

Sorry I misread you then. I just read your comment as hostile, but clearly it’s my own funk that’s the cause of the strife here… I guess you meant it to be funny and I misread, so that’s all on me.

I really liked Blue Ruin and this seemed like an interesting follow up. Stewarts sort of the icing on the cake, though.

3 Likes

Don’t think it’s been mentioned, so I’ll add Royal Flash! to the underrated group (took years to get released on DVD, so long I ended up paying about $70 for a burnt copy from eBay).

I mean, George MacDonald Fraser’s book with Malcolm McDowell & Oliver Reed? Yes please.

5 Likes

No, my bad. Stupid communication skills.

Friends?

5 Likes

No, no… it’s all on me!

Always!

6 Likes

it’s good but turning Popeye into a serious, adult, hero’s journey thing kinda misses me. the set design and getting things like the restaurant scene blocked and choreographed was completely bonkers, though.

4 Likes

I watched MirrorMask yesterday. Had never heard of it but Neil Gaiman mentioned it in The View from the Cheap Seats.

Hmm.

Seemed like an attempt for Henson to make something like Labyrinth, but it was a bit of a mess. Visually inventive, but the budget was way too small for what they wanted to do. Should have just made an animated film. And the story was a disjointed mess.

5 Likes

I saw that in the theater on the first run more because I love Dave McKean’s art than anything. It was as you say pretty to look at but the story was not the best.

2 Likes

Last month I watched John Carpenter’s apocalypse trilogy: The Thing, Prince of Darkness, and In the Mouth of Madness. I thought of Carpenter as a kind of schlock horror guy, but I was really surprised how great those movies were.

12 Likes