Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

That amuses me greatly.

2 Likes

I have not read the text of the suit, but this video is confusing two distinct “facts”: the factuality of the Warrens having documented something (“based upon the true case files of the Warrens” - 0:25) as opposed to corroborating the content of their case files (in order to prove that the Warren’s findings are indeed historical facts" 2:19). The case files themselves have verifiable historicity.

I know that basic logic, reason, and clarity should not be assumed to exist in the courtroom - especially, it seems, when money is involved. But all they need to “prove” (provide evidence for) is that there are alternate accounts of the information contained in those reports. For instance, “What they said in the Weekly World News was not true to their case files.”

Symbolic communication - how does it work?

1 Like

Thank you. I hate that film, as much as I admire most of SK’s other work. I was a huge fan at the time of the witty, sly, sprightly Thackery novel, so was hugely excited when the film came out. If Kubrick wanted to make a movie like this, he could have started with a novel by Dostoevsky instead.

4 Likes

The first five hundred minutes are the worst.

3 Likes

I saw Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome (or whatever it’s called) in a theater a few years ago.

As part three of a triple feature it might be redundant and anticlimactic, but If you watch it by itself it’s actually pretty good.

6 Likes

Why did I take so long to see Machete? Formulaic, predictable and absolutely a lot of fun as it knows how to use the formula and lots of insane ultra violent killing of the bad guys.

3 Likes

I shit you not:

4 Likes

Oooooh yeah!
Also bonus for the use of the Keith Mansfield coming attractions/feature presentation break.

2 Likes

I imagine being given a large enough check for Akira could be that blank check.

Just watched the remake of The Magnificent Seven. Can’t remember the last time I saw a film and so felt the lack of a decent score.

Also, too long, desperately dull for the first 3/4 of the film, and sorely lacking in any sense of humour.

Still don’t know why this was made.

4 Likes

The banter!

1 Like

Saw The Void last night; it’s in limited release (but also available on iTunes, etc). It’s a bloody, messy love letter to The Thing, Rob Bottin, and 80s monster/horror films with a whole lot of Lovecraftian weirdness going on. Not the best written or most creative thing I’ve seen, but if you appreciate the craft of practical monster effects, it’s worthwhile.

5 Likes

I’m finally seeing this new Ghostbusters movie. It’s pretty good so far.

3 Likes

No time-travel? I’M IN!

That was awesome.

1 Like

Diverging from the “Godfather III effect” convo, but the last time i saw MM:BT on TV, I was really impressed by the lighting and camera work. I was already on-board for the story and the iconic characters, but between when it came out and then, I had actually studied photography fairly seriously, so I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to enjoy it on an aesthetic and technical level, too.

3 Likes

I think Thunderdome stands up pretty well. If nothing else, there is a lot of dialog from the film that is part of our language.
“Bust a deal, face the wheel”
“Two men enter, one man leaves”
"Who run Bartertown?"
And the whole dialect used by “the waiting ones” was inventive and interesting. The music was good. And there was a sense of humor throughout the film.

1 Like

Since I don’t want to derail the MO thread (not even for the sake of irony) I’ll continue the Crimson Tide discussion here.

Despite its usual brand of Bruckheimerian silliness, it’s a wonderful film.

I’m reminded of an article I read a couple of years back about what made the showdown between Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington so great:

FTA

Washington and Hackman are such superb actors that if you had them yelling at each other, and over each other, while arguing about their shopping, or a pair of gardening gloves, it would be worth tuning in for.

Damn if that isn’t true.

4 Likes

I finally remembered about the new Ghostbusters and put it on hold at the library.
It showed up today and made myself a big bowl of popcorn and had a nice time. I will say I am a little more forgiving for the price but I like that they managed a different story with the same concept so it didn’t feel like a rehash.
The scripting was good though some of the jokes were stereotype jokes they were done in a better way than normally done so only a bit cringeworthy. The cast worked well together the cameos were fun and I had a fun 2 hours watching it. The Ed Jr line killed me.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.