Understanding Musk's plan for colonizing Mars

I believe your question is a good example of the Phallussy Fallacy. To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a penis-shaped spaceship is just a penis-shaped spaceship. :wink:

(also, I’m pretty sure there’s a mansplaining joke in here somewhere – something something using the Phallusy Fallacy as a rhetorical flourish to sidetrack an otherwise valid argument?)

2 Likes

By no reasonable definition is Trump a “Philanthropist Billionaire.” He hasn’t even donated to his own charity in at least eight years. A better example might be the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, which hasn’t exactly fixed all our entrenched global problems related to health and education but has put forth at least as successful an attempt as anyone else.

6 Likes

Unless/until he releases tax receipts to prove otherwise, I don’t even take the “billionaire” part as granted.

6 Likes

During the presentation Elon Musk said: “The reason I am personally accumulating assesses is to get to Mars. This is the only reason.”

SpaceX is a private company and Elon Musk is currently worth somewhere over $11 billion dollars. It looks like he plans on spending the majority of his fortune building up SpaceX and populating Mars. During the Q&A he was asked if he would personally travel to Mars and mentioned that while he would like to, but because there is such a high risk of fatality that if he did go that he have to make sure there was some sort of succession process in place so that SpaceX didn’t become a profit driven company. Also Musk pointing out that SpaceX could make some money as it already does in launching satellites and making trips to the ISS.

In the presentation Elon Musk talks about how around 1 million people is around what is needed to for Mars to be self-sustaining. Currently ships will contain 100 people on board, so that is around 10,000 trips. That he might eventually expand the ship to hold around 200 to 250 people and reduce the number of trips. Ultimately his goal with SpaceX is to build around 1000 ships, which will take some time to build up but that is the long term goal.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.