Unintentionally funny video instructions for factory resetting GE light bulbs

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/20/unintentionally-funny-video-in.html

8 Likes

Disruptive.

6 Likes

Have you tried turning it off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off and on ?

49 Likes
13 Likes

I have a pair of bluetooth earbuds that needed to be reset, please press and hold small button inside the case that will never be accidentally pressed for 43 seconds…just why? Do you only get so many resets before it implodes? Will a sticky key stick for 30 seconds but not 43?

5 Likes

This is a definite improvement over the stupid bulbs in my house, that just work.

51 Likes

“Hold stick near center of its length. Moisten pointed end in mouth. Insert in tooth space, blunt end next to gum. Use gentle in-out motion.”

10 Likes

Warning: Do not turn off or unplug device when resetting firmware.

8 Likes

Or just get frustrated and take a hammer to it.

11 Likes

hey, I got yer factory reset right here.

8 Likes

Thought we had a 30 Rock gag going on there.

But no, just 2019 being 2019.

3 Likes

I so wish they would have hired me to shoot that film. I would have put the actor in the shot, so we could see the face. Then I would have kept reshooting it until the face is just a swirling mass of barely suppressed fuming rage directed towards me. And that’s the keeper. I’d probably get stabbed to death later in the parking lot but it would be so worth it.

19 Likes

Oops, you only had it on for 7.8 seconds in step 5, the reset failed…

I get that GE doesn’t want people to reset their bulbs by accident, but come on. That list is patently ridiculous.

9 Likes

Somebody call Winnebago Man!
“Hey, we need an instructional video for how to turn on a light…”

5 Likes

I just use Edison’s firmware.

8 Likes

Apart from the absurdity of the procedure, how does GE think that the use of a video adds anything at all over-and-above written instructions. The trend towards video of every-single-fucking-thing, no matter how little the video option adds, is starting to drive me nuts. I thought the stupid reporters’ “piece to camera” where they walk towards the camera (thus presumably making the camera operator backpedal) making weird gestures with their hands as they explain something (or not) was as bad as it gets. But no.

10 Likes

giphy%20(52)a

7 Likes

The video would actually be very useful in this case. Instead of using the one-Mississippi counting method, just flip the switch when the video switches it. No guesswork.

That said, it is definitely a ridiculous process. I really don’t get “smart” light bulbs. Unless they could be switched to black light mode with a tap of your phone app; that would be pretty sweet.

10 Likes

Some of it is probably just a matter of going where people are. YouTube is a pretty big hub for the younger demographics. I’d be willing to bet that the written instructions are also available on their website and in the original packaging’s user guide.

2 Likes

What I like is there’s no way someone could exploit this to reset all the bulbs for like an entire building.

7 Likes