Can you guess what this gadget does?

Originally published at: Can you guess what this gadget does? | Boing Boing

6 Likes

It…resets stuff?

15 Likes

Bedside Alarm Clock that only lights up? It has a RESET button.
It is so Chunky though. I thought it was a re-purposed Magic Fingers Box.

6 Likes

I feel like i need more info. Does the ball rotate or is it a fixed button? Is it a controller for something else or are we looking at a self contained gadget?

5 Likes

My guess is an electric dowsing rod. The different directional lights point you towards ‘water’ and then the big light lights up when you are directly above ‘water’.

13 Likes

Mouse cleaner?

3 Likes

It’s a gonculator, everyone knows that.

15 Likes

Timer for a whole house water filter.

7 Likes

I have one right now too. Haven’t put new batteries in it though. It is a 3 month timer that lights up and tells you when to change your water filter. The back is magnetic so you put it on your fridge.

9 Likes

Looks like a fidget cube… but the implication that it “does something” would indicate otherwise.
Aside from the reset button it kind of looks like the game of Simon with a trackball… and a reset button. Its pretty chunky too… so I’m going to guess it takes batteries. I wish we had some more views for context.

I’m going to guess a remote to some really old obscure technology.

1 Like

Beg to differ- it’s clearly an interstitial epigrammatic vestibular tintanabulator. Very useful. Everyone should have one in their go-bag.

14 Likes

So, gonculator…

12 Likes

What you need is the other gadget that reminds you to change the batteries in this one.

36 Likes

You're Overthinking It I think this guy’s rant is right on.

13 Likes

Second guess…
The metal buttons are a keypad for passcode entry with the center being “enter” Reset if you goof up. When you unlock it the top slides off to a container for your ground herbs.

1 Like

It’s a lighter.

11 Likes

It is a completely self-contained gadget and does not control anything else.

(The correct answer’s been posted, but don’t let it ruin it for you if you have a better idea!)

3 Likes

First thought, A White Noise Generator.
2 - Ultra Sonic Mosquito Repeller
3 - Baby Monitor
4 - local actuator for an alarm

Now to look at the other comments.

2 Likes

My guess that i had in mind before posting my questions was that it played and/or recorded short snippets of audio. I highly doubt that’s what it is :slight_smile:

Media player with track ball selector

1 Like