Alarm clock dropped inside wall still going off daily after 13 years

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/16/alarm-clock-dropped-inside-wal.html

4 Likes

“takes a licking and keeps on ticking”?

13 Likes

100 % Edgar Allan Poe approved

47 Likes

It is a little to bad it wasn’t, I don’t know, his brothers wall, or something. His mother-in-law, someone like that. Someone else at least. Because funnier.

4 Likes

http://gregorybillington.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/giphy-5.gif

46 Likes

I would’ve papered the wall with with crocodile skin and never grown up.

34 Likes

Might I recommend a tape measure the next time around?

16 Likes

At what point do you just pull the wall open, get the damn thing out, and re-dry wall the spot?

29 Likes

It’s really not that hard to cut a hole in a wall and repatch. I once did this just to recover a $45 Unibit. I was drilling through a metal top plate and soon as I push through the bit dropped. No way was that wall winning that battle!

Ethicalcannibal, I type too slow. You got there first.

17 Likes

I’d have suggested another rope with a powerful U magnet, but we already know he is no good at knots.

I also have to admit, I do not understand the original plan where he lowered his alarm clock into the wall for any purpose other than to lose it, in the first place.

21 Likes

I just want to know which brand of battery he used.

34 Likes

A wad of duct tape on a stick always works for me.

9 Likes

This is what happens when people don’t follow KISS. The principle, not the band. :joy:

All I can imagine is that he measured the rope and was going to use the sound to locate the correct point to drill but why he couldn’t do the same measurement outside the wall is not clear to me.

8 Likes

If the opening on the floor above was big enough to lower an alarm clock down, he can get some lengths of 1/2 inch all tread and couplings. Drop one down, put a coupling on and repeat till it reaches the clock. Then spear it!. if you don’t grab it you will at least kill it.

My thought is he has a much smarter kid who keeps pulling it up and changing the battery every 6 months or so.

44 Likes

But then he’d be late for work. There is no perfect solution here.

8 Likes

I’m seeing a scenario wherein he’s trying to get the clock onto a horizontal part of the framing.

3 Likes

https://www.google.com/amp/gizmodo.com/5454295/this-emp-cannon-stops-cars-almost-instantly/amp

5 Likes

16 Likes

That was exactly my thought: My dad taught me to tie a knot in any extension cord type setup when tying it so that you don’t accidentally unplug it when moving it around; why would you lower something into a wall without doing that?

5 Likes

I had to bust a hole in my tiled bathroom wall to retrieve a raccoon pup (month and a half old ) who had fallen into a blind pocket with no way of climbing out. I was advised to do this by a friend who told me, “DO NOT wait until it passes away. Then you can locate it by the smell.” Luckily, I was able to fish it out while it was alive using a noose and broom handle.
The rest of the family (four more raccoons!) were all successfully trapped out on the roof using peanut butter and cheerios.
Point of entry? Roof vent that was loose and pulled partially open.

8 Likes