United Airlines bars girls in leggings from boarding flight: they're "not properly clothed"

I think there is a 3) Ignore. That’s what is going to happen.

Lets start at the basics. Has the customer requested or been offered a refund?

Ironically I’ve been having a discussion about this in another thread. I showed up to a thing looking too dapper, and was dinged for it

And for the record… My closet.

And I got a laugh about pockets (a very good natured, friendly laugh :grinning:)

But that’s just me. I hold noone else to my sartorial style.

11 Likes

What is the goal of the dress code for standby tickets at the airline you run? My point is these things aren’t entirely arbitrary, and while they’re up for public debate, insisting it’s silly or shaming them for having boundaries (even if they seem irrational) isn’t going to work. Those tools work on individuals who know and like you, and not on bureaucracies whose favor one is taking for granted.

Some people won’t take no for an answer. Those people encountering a no that they just have to put up with to get what they want… it isn’t going to hurt them. In fact, that sort of thing builds character.

Whoah, watch it with the buzzwords! You can take somebody’s​ eye out with those talking points when misused like that.

7 Likes

I insist that the person wasting his time is I. When I tire of it I will waste it elsewhere.

I think the matter of the appropriateness of uncovered form-fitting leggings, as regards school and company dress policies, will continue to be worked out over several years, but the horse has left the barn already and there is no point in closing the barn door at this point.

Further, I suspect that uncovered form-fitting leggings are just the camel’s … nose under the tent, and the trend will continue and won’t stop until public nudity is accepted. Some may enjoy that, and say that what’s good for the goose is good for the gander, but I would probably prefer people to remain clothed in public.

I’ll be dead by that point, though. It’ll be for today’s kids to complain about. Young ladies who love their hose today will have to turn the other cheek in the future as other hoses become ever less concealed.

1 Like

You wouldn’t like @japhroaig when he’s angry.

He makes cheeses.

8 Likes

Very much the case. Beating it on the Anvil of United Airlines guest-pass dress code is not helping the larger cause of egalitarianism, though.

Nobody forced them to change, and I bet they could have flown wearing that if they had paid for their tickets.

1 Like

Trying to picture this…

… and succeeding.

4 Likes

no, probably just for that employee, for a while.

And it won’t be taken away, they just wont ask for any more.

Because their family member has embarrassed them, at work, over leggings. YAY!

1 Like

Change your clothes, or pay ~$100 a head? Yeah, that’s not a forced choice, not at all…

3 Likes

And that is the entire point. So we have come to common ground. Styles change, usually at a faster pace than policy.

I appreciate the polite debate.

4 Likes

Nobody made them use free tickets, and nobody made them change. Please don’t make up false things that never happened.

I said I bet if they had been paying customers then they probably could have flown wearing what they were wearing. Because the customer is, in fact, always right.

But these weren’t customers.

2 Likes

Couldn’t you wear leggings and a long sweater?

6 Likes

My kids are covered by my employee-benefit insurance, but they don’t have to comply with any company policies, as they are not employees.

7 Likes

You don’t see how dickish that sounds?

2 Likes

Of course:

“I am at the moment writing a lengthy indictment against our century. When my brain begins to reel from my literary labors, I make an occasional cheese dip.” - Ignatius J. Reilly

2 Likes

Michael, if you bring your children to your workplace, where smoking is prohibited by policy, your kids will not be able to smoke. They will also have to comply with that policy, although they are not employees.

1 Like

Could you explain the parallel to victim blaming again? I seriously don’t get it.

My point is that there are also unwritten dress codes, and they often work in exactly the opposite direction than the written dress codes do, and is much more asymmetric than the written dress codes are. The unwritten dress code essentially tells women and girls to show off their sexuality and tells men and boys to wear whatever is comfortable. A gender-neutral written dress code that places limits on sexualized fashion works against the unwritten sexist expectations.

Now I still don’t get why an airplane needs dress codes.

2 Likes

I wasn’t let onto a flight while flying on an employee pass because I had on jeans. Luckily I was traveling with a carry-on with some slacks in them (I was wrinkly as hell too lol). I was pissed at first then I was told of the rules and was like…ehhh. So, I am not torn with this the rule is the rule. So what are we arguing? The evil empire dictating dress to women? The evil empire dictating dress period? The EE having an employee pass dress code (It is a free ticket to fly)? Seemingly outdated rules? Feminism? Everything is not news worthy or outrage worthy. So when do we say, to the lady flying on the FREE TICKET, that she or the person who gave her the ticket should have read the rules. When are we going to take personal responsibility for being ignorant! If I give you a free ticket with some stipulations then guess what, follow the stipulations. Sorry, but I hate most airlines, but come on…it was a free ticket with stipulations. Ignorance is no excuse.

3 Likes

Oh, sorry. Didn’t know you were the sexism experts. Glad to know that my own views and experiences as a woman are entirely irrelevant to what sexism is. Glad I have you men to explain it to me. I mean, my little head is just not big enough to fit in all those big words and definitions. Gosh, I’m so lucky you can swoop in and explain the world to me. Really.

18 Likes