United Airlines bars girls in leggings from boarding flight: they're "not properly clothed"

Yeah, the more space you can squeeze out of those seats, the better – every tenth of a millimeter counts. But considering the absolute slobs I see on flights I wonder why the airline bothers. I don’t have any idea who’s flying free. People with passes don’t exactly go “Ha, ha, I’m flying for free!” They’d be pummeled by irate passengers paying good money for being packed into a dirty stock car.

Edit typo.

12 Likes

“Wrongly” is the point, isn’t it?

“Why do we still see airline pilots in pseudo-military attire with uniforms and captain bars?”

I know this is just an aside, but they shouldn’t! It’s a cargo-cult militarism that infests a civil command structure, and responsible for a lot of deaths.

17 Likes

But was the father wearing shorts that were 3 inches above the knee?

Let’s get one thing out of the way; this isn’t a civil rights issue or a capital case; this is a private company setting some basic rules about attire when someone uses a ticket they got for free. So let’s not get our knickers in a bunch too much.

That said, the flyers were not employees. They were not in a position where, at any time, they were actually representing the company, any more than any boss might say “remember when you leave this office you’re still representing this company” and expect their employees to dress a certain way on the weekend. That’s bullshit. This is an airline that is desperately clinging to their patriarchal control of women’s bodies and appearance, based on the control they have historically had over their stewardesses flight attendants. It’s the vestige of a long gone era that just shows how this airline is stuck in the past.

17 Likes

except for how they treat passengers. There, they are right up to date.

5 Likes

While it is “cargo-cult militarism” (excellent phrase), how is it responsible for a lot of deaths? Did the “scrambled eggs” on the pilots’ military-styled caps get caught in the controls or something?

2 Likes

Ohhh, the airlines…

They were once a luxury; today though, they’re just another headache !

Good-Bye . . .

2 Likes

It was pointed out above exactly what is unacceptable in the dress code - no shorts 3 inches above the knee and no form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses. Presumably the father met this standard while the girls did not.

You’ll get no argument from me whether or not this code is historically rooted in sexism or not. That’s not my argument to make. I’m not defending it or justifying it in any way.

The point is the policy exists and it is very clear what is acceptable and what is not. It is the responsibility of the employee or those traveling on behalf of the employee to know and follow these policies. The other decision is to not fly or buy a revenue ticket.

Except they were flying on an employee’s benefits - so they are representing the company at least by proxy. The fact that you or others know or can tell the difference is irrelevant.

And let’s be even more clear - United is not the only airline with this policy. Every major airline has similar guidelines. Some are more relaxed and some are more strict. Employees agree to these policies in return for their flight benefits. We are all free to lobby on their behalf to change these policies if we feel strongly enough about it.

6 Likes

Maybe something like this?

Or maybe this?

3 Likes

I have never, ever once asked a fellow passenger how they got their ticket. And it has zero bearing on how they are dressed.

I’ll gently tease about leggings (gently being the operative word), but this carp is absurd. Yeah, don’t touch me or kick my seat–and even that is forgivable though annoying–but if you want to wear leggings or jammies in first class do it.

10 Likes

The dress code quote above makes no mention of sex or gender.

1 Like

I was on a BA flight when there was a cabin crew guy flying in business (presumably something like this, or deadheading). He was dressed to the nines when he got on board, three-piece suit, flash shoes etc. But as soon as we were up in the air he switched to jammies.

11 Likes

So… You were on a flight with @doctorow?

9 Likes

Nope, but I’ve been on a flight with Leo McKern.

And I saw a Chuckle Brother in the Duty Free at Rhodes.

4 Likes

“By proxy” is a fallacy. They are either representing the company or they are not. Flying free doesn’t make them representatives. Greeting passengers coming on to the plane, or handing out pretzels in flight, that would make them representatives.

14 Likes

Wow! They sure seem to dislike form-fitting clothes that reveal the shape of people’s bodies. I think I’ve got just the perfect thing for that…

https://tbmwomenintheworld2016.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/rtx1ryia-11.jpg

8 Likes

A friend of mine was on a flight with Lieberman. Without a word he wrote the word Traitor on his laptop and turned it around.

I don’t think I’ve ever noticed someone famous at an airport, but the likelihood of me obliviously passing someone by is pretty high.

4 Likes

And yet there’s the ‘policy’ of airlines to NOT have the flight attendants intervene or cause a fuss when they observe two passengers entering one of the a/c restrooms. They effectively allow ‘The Mile High Club’ that freedom.

3 Likes

Corporate dress codes are part of a long and ugly history old people cling to to put women at a disadvantage.

13 Likes

I wonder if she’s got a still-suit on underneath.

4 Likes

Let’s say you are required to attend a company “Black Tie” dinner event for your employer. You show up in a tuxedo but your date/spouse wears daisy duke shorts and a halter top…she proceeds to get drunk and vomit all over the dessert table.

Does not her attire and conduct reflect poorly on you?

2 Likes